New
Find
Notify
Tools

My son's Mtn. Lion hunt [pics]
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
After our plains game safari, this summer, my son decided he wanted to go on a cat hunt in January, to coincide with his working one of the bowl games around Phoenix, over New Years. He started the hunt last Sat., and called me Mon. nite, that he had his cat! Eeker

He hunted within a few miles of the Grand Canyon. The guide said it was the biggest cat head gotten in 5 yrs. Estimated weight, was 155 lbs. They also think it might make the record book. Here's some pics:

He wanted me to go along, but I told him too outa shape, too old, too broke from Africa Big Grin.

Ya gotta love youth and enthusiasm, and I'm very proud of him!

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WOW!Thats a Dandy!Congratulations all around!What did he harvest it with?Thats as good as it gets!Thanks for shareing patriot

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
Beautiful cat! Thanks for the photos.

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Hunt, good for him! Can you tell us who the guide/dog man was? Just curious.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He hunted with rimrock outfitters in AZ. The guides name is Randy Epperson, I believe. He's got a hellava rep, as a cat man.

The boy shot the cat with a .357 ruger handgun, and he's never shot a handgun before Eeker Big Grin

I'm very proud of him!

Mad Dog

One of Us
Picture of oakman
posted Hide Post
Nice kitty. Most of my hounds blood came out of AZ. from the Lee brothers. Hope it was a good long run with a few bales so you could wacth the hounds do their magic.. Congrates..... dancing

www.african-montana-taxidermy.com

life member of SCI
life member of NRA
NTA
Master Scorer SCI
Scorer for Rowland Ward

www.african-montana-taxidermy.com

Posts: 241 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 01 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
After our plains game safari, this summer, my son decided he wanted to go on a cat hunt in January, to coincide with his working one of the bowl games around Phoenix, over New Years. He started the hunt last Sat., and called me Mon. nite, that he had his cat!

Great cat.

It is none of my business, but what kind of work does your son do, is he a Ref or TV guy?

Jason

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Congrats to your son. That is indeed a very nice cougar. thumb

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9389 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice lion thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
JBrown, he's a TV guy. He's a sound man, pulls wires, sets up mics, runs the sound board, does mixing, etc.

Mad Dog

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Congrats to your son Mad Dog, that is a nice cat. Our elk hunting is done in the same area and we've seen some nice tracks before but those paws are huge.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Randy gets it done again. Super cat, and congrats to your son. clap

That cat is almost the twin of the one I killed with him 20 years ago. If so, that is one big kitty!

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a fine specimen!

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IV, how goes the battle? Any news?

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
NO news yet, I am going to start submitting our results for publication over the next 3-6 months-- after the flak from all of the press we got when the Seattle Times COMPLETELY misconstrued our results a couple months ago we are staying a little "tight lipped" with our current stuff.

I was notified last week to expect a collar back of ours from 2001...interesting to see which cat it was and where it was born. The cat was supposedly harvested on the Colville reservation in NE Washington......

I'll PM you some good stuff next week!!

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good science and the media is still biased and screws it up. Frowner

The info on the cat from 2001 would very interesting information to read. I will be looking forward to hearing from you. My son asks ever time he come home, "hey has that guy from Idaho got any cats"?

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote