THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    East Texan to pay $1.5 million for deer smuggling

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

East Texan to pay $1.5 million for deer smuggling
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/st...ews/state&id=8364841

TYLER, TX -- An East Texas deer breeder has been sentenced to three years' probation with six months' home confinement for smuggling deer, then lying about it to a federal agent.

Billy Powell was sentenced in a federal court in Tyler on Thursday after pleading guilty June 14 to illegally transporting the deer. He agreed to pay a $1 million fine to a U.S. Fish and Wildlife fund and $500,000 in restitution to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department.

A U.S. attorney's statement says Powell smuggled at least 37 white-tail deer to his East Texas farm, then lying to a U.S. Fish and Wildlife agent that he'd illegally imported fewer deer than he actually had.

Texas restricts deer imports because of the threat of spreading or introducing diseases into the state's game population.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another reason to ban hunt farms.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No need to ban them.
Just punish the people who break the rules.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
why go to the trouble of transporting deer when you can do AI ?

After all, cows and many other industries do it.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
$2 million in fines and "restitution," and it doesn't make the first paragraph?

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Media around seems to have forgotten that a paragraph consists of several sentences!

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad they turned the screws to him. I doubt he's the only one though.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://mobile.chron.com/chron/...Zw&full=true#display

Latest from today's Houston Chronicle!

Robert

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calgarychef1:
Another reason to ban hunt farms.

I'm with you. I think this making of deer into cattle is appalling.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have sit down and talked to this fellow in the living room
of his house. We had a very pleasant conversation about deer breeding. He then reached into a drawer and pulled out a picture of one of his top breeder bucks. The buck must have scored at least 400. He kept the top breeder bucks in large indoor barn stalls, like show horses.

The state erred in my opinion by slaughtering several million dollars worth of deer and prime genetics.
Men pay $50,000 plus to kill bucks that score over 250 BC.
A series of special hunts could have been offered that would have raised alot of $ for Texas Parks and Wildlife.

God Bless Texas A&M

Posts: 483 | Location: E. TX | Registered: 07 October 2006Reply With Quote