THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Experts: What age class is this buck in? (video)

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Experts: What age class is this buck in? (video)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of edholum
posted
Got this video off my trail cam. This buck made it through the rifle season here in South Dakota and I was just interested in how old he might be. To me he doesn't look that old and has great potential, but I have been wrong before. Mainly I'm just interested in seeing what you all think.

Thanks

"Conservation through Hunting"

Posts: 260 | Location: SE South Dakota | Registered: 20 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of edholum
posted Hide Post
I guess you have to click on the picture and that will take you to photobucket.com and it will play.

He does come into the IR flash, just be patient.

Posts: 260 | Location: SE South Dakota | Registered: 20 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of edholum
posted Hide Post
Here is a video of what I think is a 2.5 year old sparring with a 1.5 year old. Am I right?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
First deer is in the 4.5-5.5 range. Look at his brisket and the size/shape of his head. Not much potential compared to the one you killed earlier in the season.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sparing deer I would say you are spot on.

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of edholum
posted Hide Post
Thanks Perry, I was hoping he wasn't that old... but you are most likely right.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd put that first buck at 3.5, neither of the others is 1.5, probably both are 2.5.

troy

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
Picture of edholum
posted Hide Post
Thanks Troy.. Wow I am having way too much fun with this. I would call both these deer 1.5 years old??? It is amazing how active this scrape was.

Thanks

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I feel the first buck is 3.5.

I've personally seen the best jump in our deer from 2.5 to 3.5, after that it seems they put on alittle more mass, a few stickers, and alittle length. In two years he'll probably be a very nice buck, but I doubt he jumps more than 15-20 extra inches. Could be wrong and I feel there are exceptions, just going by what we see on our place.

Great video, thanks for sharing.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I had to guess I'd say 3 years old on the original buck posted. It's also possible he's older and just in poor condition after the rut, but he doesn't have all the body markers of a 4 or 5 year old deer in that video.

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3.5-4.5 on the top buck. Trying to distinguish bucks between those ages on the hoof is difficult at best. You can bet he won't be any smaller next year though.

Posts: 218 | Location: KC MO | Registered: 07 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I'd say the first deer is 3.5 years old.

I think you're also spot on with the ages of the other deer.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
First deer: 3.5. Sparring deer: 1.5 and 2.5.

I have a little reference tool I use for aging deer. My primary reference points are the shoulders and the rump. I also reference the neck.

If the rump / hind end is larger than the shoulders and the deer has a long, skinny neck, the deer is definitely less than 3.5. I call these deer "rear heavy"

If the rump/hind end and the shoulders are the same size (like the deer in the first picture), and the back and belly lines are basically straight (like a brown rectangle), you are looking at a 3.5 year old deer.

If the shoulders are larger than the rump and hind end, neck appears short and stocky, you are looking at 4.5. These deer are "front heavy".

For 4.5 and up, the "front" of the deer continues to outsize the "back", the neck disappears into the shoulders, the belly sags more and more and the back sways.

That's my tool.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of edholum
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the first buck is shaping up to be about 3.5 years according to most. Thats about how old I originally figured but knew it was inexact science. Hopefully in 2 years or so I will be posting some pictures of him. Thanks everyone for your opinions, it helps.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
1st buck isn't older than 3.5 IMO. I've killed enough whitetails in the midwest for 15 years and have aged most every buck. He's not getting pot-bellied yet at all. If he's over 4 I'd be shocked.

2nd video: could be 2 deer same age one with much better genetics. I've seen a 1.5 year old with 11 points on a deer urine farm that looked to be the same size.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns