New
Find
Notify
Tools

Compact Binos
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking for a new pair of compact binos. I have been looking at the Zeiss Victory 10X25. Any other recommedations.

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Swarovski 8X20's

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Swarrovski 8x30. thumb

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure the Swaro's are great, but I'm not convinced my eyes can appreciate the $ that level of greatness costs compared to my really excellent Zeiss Victory 10x25. My other euro binos now just ride around in the glove box of the truck.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
OK, since the others are out there how about the Leica Ultravid 10x25mm BCRs or Nikon Premier LX L 8x20mm?

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
If you are really steady, the 10x25's may be OK. Most of us seem to jiggle during long periods of glassing. A little less power and a little bigger objective seems to help. Now, if you are hunting with a guide and he is doing most of the glassing, the smaller glass has a place. Again, it depends on how much you are glassing. My choice? Swaro 8x30s and I'm just a poor college prof. boohoo

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
poor and college prof is an oxeymoron (sp).

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
poor and college prof is an oxeymoron (sp).

Isn't that the truth! animal

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
FrownerSorry fellows, but here in Colorado they don't pay as much as they do on the east and west coasts. Of course the hunting makes up for it, that's why I stay! thumb

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cobrad
Do you have the older model Victories or the new version. These compacts are ones that I can carry in a shirt pocket. No to be used for long viewing sessions. For those I have a set of Zeiss classic 10X40's.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have and love Leica 8x20 Ultravid.

I have a pair of 8x32 Leica's too and both are great. The compacts are suprisingly good for their size.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I had a pair of 10 X 25's, the low light viewing was terrible.. I use Pentax 8 X 43 DCSSP for everything now

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I currently have a pair of 10X25 Leitz. They were great when I first got them but seem to have last there chrispness as time has gone buy. I have not liked the leica as much since they have moved production to Mexico.

one of us
posted Hide Post
tracker12 mine are a couple years old. They are shirt pocket size and weigh in at around 7 oz. I have used them for long viewing sessions many times while glassing for game. They are more strenuous on my eyes than my 7x40's, but not by enough to make me carry the bigger bino's anymore. As for low light, they are fine for me. By time the light is too low to see through them... the light is just too low to see.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Swarovski 8x30s that I have been using for 12 years. They are fantastic and I love them. Swarovski is changing the styling on them again and Cabelas had a special on the old model recently. I don't think that there is any difference optically between the old and new only appearance.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of the zeiss victory 8x20's and love them. Got them after reading reviews by birders. Not sure the current compact leicas are even waterproof (the ones of a year ago or so weren't). If possible, take a look thru the different sizes and brands. The compacts are much better than I had expected and they are small enough that they go along without much fuss.

Posts: 30 | Location: alaska | Registered: 11 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the input on the Zeiss Victories. I recently looked at the 10X40's and think they are the best out there right now in that size. Plan on looking at the 8X20 and 10X25's next chance I get. I have a dealer that has then for $400.00.

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I'm seriously considering a pair of 8x30 Swaro's for myself.
I have a pair of Burris 10x25-26? compacts I got from a guy at work. He was ordering a compact spotting scope, and for $20 more he could get a pair of little bino's. I told him I'd pay the $20. He said he didn't need them but if I wanted them he'd order the "package deal". He changed his mind when they arrived! His compact spotter was a disappointment, but he really liked the little bino's. They are great for a shirt pocket pair. They are the best shirt pocket ones I've used, and for such a small price, I won't feel to bad if something happens to them.

Here are the drawbacks. They are to narrow of view for much "glassing". They are great for getting a better look at something. They hang funny. The "neck strap" is a string that causes them to hang with the eye cups rubbing your shirt.

I am leaning toward the 8x30's as they are still smaller and lighter but offer the wider field of view. In high quality glass the clarity shouldn't be much different. The light gathering should be acceptable.
I have used some 10x42 SLC's and thought they'd be tough to beat. They are heavier though. If I were to spoil myself I'd consider the EL line and maybe even the EL compacts. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If glassing is a big concern I would not use a pair of compacs. 10X40 in a goiod quality Zeiss, Swar or Leica is what would be around my neck. But if I am turkey hunting or bow hunting in thisck cover I like to have a pair in the shirt pocket of pack just in case. that is where the compacs take over in my opinion. I just orderes a pair of the 10XZ25 Zeiss Victories.