New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vais muzzle break
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I hate the excess noise that muzzle brakes make. I just cant handle it. The Vais brake company claims that the eardrum piercing muzzle brake blast is not a factor with this product. I would like to tame the recoil in my .338 RUM and are exploring my options. Anyone with any experience with this product?

Posts: 71 | Location: Ocean Isle Beach NC | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a buddie's Vais braked .340 Weatherby mag, and was pleasantly surpised by the reduction in recoil and noise. If you have to have a brake to feel comfortable shooting your rifle, the Vais is probably the best choice. However, the better choice would be to move down to a cartridge you could shoot without needing one. A good .338 Win Mag comes to mind, the RUM version doesn't really add much to it, for all the recoil and blast you're having to deal with. Even with a couple hundred fps advantage, your PBR doesn't change enough to be worth considering in 99% of all hunting conditions IMHO- Sheister

[This message has been edited by Sheister (edited 03-01-2002).]

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have brakes by George Vais on both my Lazzeroni HellCat (.375) and my Patriot (.300) and they are effective with a very small increase in noise. I have never had a dirty look from someone at the next bench at the range and in fact most are suprised when they notice I have a brake. My HellCat weighs a bit more than 8 pounds and the Patriot just a bit over 7 pounds.

The main thing is the fact they have no "back-blast" of gas into your face (and scope) that almost all other brakes have....this back-blast will cause a flinch faster than recoil.

I strongly recommend the Vais brake.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with the vais brake. however, i have a brake installed on my 300 wm that was made by a gunsmith in salt lake city. the recoil reduction is superb and there is little increased noise. I will supply his name and number if someone would like. hibbertd@yahoo.com

Posts: 67 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: 09 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Alabama 280>
posted
Frasier, I purchased a 300 RUM and was not use to the rough kick. The gun is a real nice looking Rem 700 BDL-LH. My 3 shot groups at 100 yds were around 2.5 inch. My g-smith pillar bedded/glassed and floated the barrel.He set the triger at 2.75#, installed a mercury recoil reducer and a decellerator pad on it.Now shooting the 180 factory loads it groups under 1 in moa. I think after the barrel is broke in and I work up my on load it will shoot close to a 1/2in group.And not to forget the main problem I had was also recoil. That is no longer a problem and I dont have a ugly brake on the end of my gun.

<Frank>
posted
The Vias or Daviad Gentry Quiet Brake seem to be better than most.

<waldog>
posted
Years ago I purchased a 24" .223 barrel for my T/C Contender. I had the bright idea of having their "muzzle tamer" break installed. BIG, HUGE, GIGANTIC, ENORMOUS, COLASSALL, M-I-S-T-A-K-E!!!!!

To shoot it comfortably, I have to wear ear plugs beneath my regular hearing protection AND wear glasses. Once I shot it off the hood of a buddies pickup. It left an 18" crack!

I've sworn not to shoot that thing until I do something about that break. Do you think a VIAS is the ticket? Should I just have the thing cut off and re-crowned? Anyone wanna trade for a .22 Hornet?

------------------
>>>--------------------->
Toxophilie and carry a bent stick.
<---------------------<<<

one of us
posted Hide Post
The VAIS brake will also let you see hits without a spotter.....best available.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote