THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Hornady SST's and deer under 3000fps MV?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady SST's and deer under 3000fps MV?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PATRIOT76
posted
say 150 gr sst out of 308 win, since it is under 3000fps, what do you think? Less likely for a blow up?

Posts: 442 | Location: usa | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Good choice. I'd personally prefer a 165 wt range for the 308. The Btip, SST, Scirocco all work real well in a 308 on medium sized game when the velocities are mild to moderate.

What powder(s) do you have in mind?

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of PATRIOT76
posted Hide Post
varget, RL-15

Posts: 442 | Location: usa | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Me too. IMR 3031 has shown to be a great 308 powder as well.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
My son shot a mule deer this year with a 30-06 and a 150 gr SST MV around 2850 the bullet took out both lungs the exit hole was the size of a quarter excellent deer bullet and good accuracy

Posts: 64 | Location: Utah | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
My father used them in 180 grains from a 30-06 to kill a kudu, a waterbuck, 2 wildebeestes, a springbok, a blesbok, a warthog, an impala, a bushbuck and a wildcat all with one shot each at ranges from 20 yards to 245 yards. They are great bullets if driven at under 3000 ft/sec.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
I have shot two deer with 130 gr Hornady SSTs out of a M70 in .270. Velocities, although not chronigraphed, are in the 2900 ft/sec range. In both cases, the bullets disintegrated violently inside the animal causing rapid death.

In spite of these succesful results, I feel uneasy about using SSTs. In one case, the bullet exploded on the OUTSIDE of the rib cage on entry. Fortunately the animal was small, and the presentation was completely broadside, and the bullet, or what was left of it entered the animal and exited the other side, killing the animal instantly. The second case was similar. My concern is one of these days, I will hit a shoulder or leg bone, and the bullet will explode on the bone without penetrating. I have seen deer running around during hunting season on three legs, with the fourth one flopping, and I NEVER want to be responsible for suffering like that. Also, I bit into too many copper shards in steaks taken from my own SST shot deer.

Although I have witnessed spectacular sudden death kills from SSTs, I personally believe they are a disaster waiting to happen, and plan to switch bullets. This is MHO only based on my own limited experience. Take it for what it is worth.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a Friend of mine shot a Kudu with a 162grn bullet if I can remeber correctly with his 7x57.
He hit the shoulder bone hard and luckily he had enough penetration to kill the Kudu bull.
I wont recommend this bullet for bigger game but definitely for deer and so on if the bullets are placed in the correct spot.
I bought these bullets for my friend who at that time had accuracy problems with his rifle,the bullet solved that as I thought but I never knew that he would take it hunting.After that first Kudu he has changed to another brand.
Final thoughts;good accuracy ,cheap if you reload ,good for smaller antelope,but not for the big guys
Johan

Posts: 47 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 August 2005Reply With Quote