New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Lesson For Big GAme Hunters
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I taught both of m boys that when you get a shot at a deer or larger animal, be sure to engage and try always to get a follow-up second shot.
Unfortunately in the excitement of the moment, this is often forgotten, and the effort for the second shot is replaced by the hunter looking to see how well he did.
That happened to one of my sons (twice) and the animals were never seen again!
Anyone else have similar experiences?

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob, I'm not sure that is good advice. The shooter should be concentrating on making his first shot his ONLY shot. If thinking of how to make a quick second shot then the shooter is much more likely to NEED a second shot. There are certainly occasions when the first shot doesn't do what it should have and a subsequent shot or shots is needed. But anticipating follow-up shots is something of folly since the animal will almost certainly be running and you can't necessarily know which way it will run. Sure, my immediate reaction after recovering from the recoil is to bolt another round in the chamber. However, that's not due to anticipating its need, but rather to be prepared if it is needed.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek.
I don't fully disagree.
When I was teaching my boys, we always practiced on paper targets and practiced for a first shot to be carefully placed, but similar to your process, I wanted them to quickly prepare and do a follow-up shot.
To me it became almost automatic, but if the animal was down, second shot wasn't used.
As a footnote: My son lost an elk and a moose because he didn't take the necessary follow-up shot. That was back when he was 16 years old. He has since become a much improved hunter!

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
- you bought him a B.A.R I assume.

Posts: 4987 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it’s great advice Bob. Of course the first shot should “count”. However, things happen as we all know.

Posts: 2647 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never hurts to "hitem again".
Scott

Posts: 414 | Location: Ridgecrest,Ca | Registered: 02 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am a firm believer in if they are still moving to shoot them again.

Again, again, again if needed.

To many bad things can happen if you don't.

As someone else said the famous last words of a trophy fee gone bad.

Don't shoot again you hit hard the first time.

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I teach kids to shoot, reload while looking through scope and find target, if second shot needed they are ready.

Posts: 1078 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back when I was growing up, being left handed, there were hardly any left handed guns. The only left handers were Weatherby rifles. I could not afford one so I bought a B.A.R. I hardly ever needed a follow up shot, but I always keep shooting if the animal is still alive. I don't believe in letting an animal suffer. Sometimes those quick follow up shots do help. And those rifles are accurate!

Posts: 560 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt.Purvis
posted Hide Post
Seen too many deer lost. Always be prepared for second shot and take the shot if you have any doubt. I ran over a deer with my truck the other day. I thought it was dead on the side of my dirt road. I got my pistol and deer was still there. Walked around to look at the damage on the truck and deer was still there. Got in my truck to make a call that took three minutes. Got out to load up deer and it was gone.

Posts: 517 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 09 November 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think one should always eject the fired round load a fresh round, and be ready for that scenario, and they cqn be differnt, thats the time to make up your mind about a second shot..You should be able to tell what to do most of the time.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
The first Kudu bull I shot on my first Namibian Safari was in 2012. I was shooting a Winchester Model 70 in .300 WSM and he dropped on the spot. As we approached the bull he continued to flop around so my PH, Jan du Plessis handed me his .44 Magnum and I administered a coup de grace to his neck. His European Mount graces my Man Cave 10 years later, next to a monster Eland I shot in 2017. Fond memories.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1384 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote