THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Converting Butchered Weight to Dressed or Live Wt?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Converting Butchered Weight to Dressed or Live Wt?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can someone help me convert from the yield weight of a butchered whitetail buck back to it's live or dressed weight?

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a table from the PA Game Commission [copyrighted 1968]giving live ,hog dressed ,field dressed lean meat etc. I could give specific weight or email table if it could be posted.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Then convert 91 lbs to live or dressed please.

I can post some things so email or PM if you can with it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Someone told me it should be 25-30 % of live weight. I think that is about right.

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it's 30% for instance the the 91 lb yield would have been a 303 lbs live weight whitetail! The farmer and I could not lift it 6" into the front loader bucket and both of us are pretty strong but 300 lbs! I don't think so.

one of us
posted Hide Post
what about gutted skined with no head or legs?

say like 170 pounds or so?

Posts: 159 | Location: Saskatchewan  | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
the way I always figured it & it was pretty close, meat yeild is 30% of dressed deer weight. So if you have 50 pounds of boned meat the dressed weight is around 150 pounds. Then add 25% more for guts. Live weight: 188 pounds. This is real close, I've checked it out on deer, it's close.

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Dressed weight: 273 pounds

Live weight: 341 pounds

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A full city-dressed carcass of most quadrupeds is generally about 45% of live weight. No hide, head, feet or organ meats included.

That would make a 91lb carcass with skeleton 202lbs live. On the other hand, 91lbs of meat only would have been from a very large animal.

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Borrowed this from another forum.

Danny Boy

Posts: 157 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage 99, that's the one .I tried to email that to you but seems your email address is incorrect - it bounced.

one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Dannyboy,

There is no way that half of the dressed weight is lean meat! no way. i'm not a butcher, but I do my own cutting. 1/3 is boned lean meat! That scale is very far off reality! I've weighted deer not gutted, gutted, and then a pile of meat, 1/3 thats it!

one of us
posted Hide Post
That chart does not have a catagory for how the deer was buchered. It was cut up on buchering saws into steaks, chops, stew meat and hamburger. Thus about all the "bones" are in the 91 lbs except of course for the legs and spine from the neck.

Somehow I thought that the way it's cut up is pretty much standard but maybe it's not?

This deer was not the biggest or anything it's just the way the day went nobody wanted to weigh it and now I am interested that's all.

Here is a picture of it as it fell.

one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Great buck! What a neck on it! I hope your mounting it! make sure you get that huge neck!

great going Savage99! Congrats to you and your buck!

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I think that deer must have been in the Olympics, he looks like he was on steroids.

Please tell me you saved his cape. It's huge.

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You lose about half when you gut and take off legs at knees and skin. Then if you remove bone about half again. Those that have butchered with bone stil in ofcourse have more weight,and accuse you of wasting meat.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I asked the butcher and he says you loose 60% from live weight to the way that they cut it up. I refigured it at 88lbs of meat taking off the packaging. Thus it was a 220lb deer live weight. I am going with than number pending new information.

Thanks to all for the interest. The head etc. is going to the taxidermist tonight.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with widowmaker.

I process my own deer and antelope, I field dress the elk and take it to the processor. 1/3 of weight is taken off to get to hanging weight (guts, head, lower legs, hide), 1/3 of weight is boneless meat/scraps, 1/3 of weight is bones and throw away.

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Moose converted to cleaned meat vithout bones etc...

This is from statistics...

On moose the meat weights 52% of liveweight...

520kg meat is 1000kg walking.

Elias

Posts: 45 | Location: Finland | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

520kg meat is 1000kg walking.

1000kg =2200lbs thats one hell of a big moose.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Elias--that 52% would undoubtedly be butchered with the bone in the meat--remove that bone and you'll be closer to 25%.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote