Notify
Tools

What to use this deer season
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have 4
rifles I have never shot a deer with.

I am tossing around the idea of using one of them.

Northern Wis most likely shot under 150 yards

All of them scoped

Just a fun poll to see what every body thinks

Question:
What one should I use.

Or should I just use my old stand by 99 savage 300 savage.

Choices:
Marlin 336 30-30
Ruger no.3 45-70
Ruger 77 tang safety 257 Roberts
Ruger 96 44mag
old stand by savage 99 300sav.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
300 Savage! Why, I guess because I just bought one for my son! All great choices.

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I may be the only one to vote for the old .257 Roberts. I have a Browning A-bolt hunter chambered in it and it is my go-to deer rifle. Second choice would be your old stand by Savage model 99

Wow! Was I ever wrong about that.

Most of my money I spent on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted

Posts: 261 | Location: Saint Thomas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Ruger in 257 Bob. It should be a nice mid range rifle with mild recoil but still with enough punch to get the job done

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd rule out the Ruger 44 Magnum as 150 yards is stretching it for that round due to its relatively low velocity and blunt bullet.

The same would be true of the .45-70 if using weak factory loads. If juiced up with handloads it would be fine.

I like a little more velocity than some of the oldies afford, but the .30-30 is certainly adequate for 150 yards.

Personally, I'd feel most comfortable with the Roberts or the Savage, either of which should do a 150 yard shot on a deer without straining.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
I like all the choices honestly, but I feel the 257 Roberts is the ideal whitetail cartridge. I’d take the 45-70 second, had a #1 chambered such, and it’s the most regrettable sale I’ve ever made of a firearm.

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The "bob" is the one I'd use of the fun toys you listed. No flies on the others but the 257 Roberts is head and shoulders above, in MY opinion.

My 2 cents, for free.
Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
under 150yds?
any of them will work just fine.
I've used everything on your list [and more]but the 44.
I did use the 45 colt in it's place, however the way I load them only real difference between them is the diameter.

I see everyone is picking the Bob.
I shot my largest deer ever with one, but at 20 feet distant I was wishing I had a handgun instead of a scoped rifle with me.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I voted for the single shot 45/70.

Posts: 12259 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
A Wisconsin tradition, Marlin 336 in 30-30. Have to take a deer with one of these.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
Although I had my .257 Roberts blown out to the Ackley version, I think the 1/4 bore is the ideal deer caliber.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lot of old curmudgeons that still believe the mod 99 300 Savage is the best damn deer and elk rifle ever, and I don't think they are far off on that, Ive seen it do its work many times in my youth, and seldom heard it boom twice.. beer

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Lot of old curmudgeons that still believe the mod 99 300 Savage is the best damn deer and elk rifle ever, and I don't think they are far off on that, Ive seen it do its work many times in my youth, and seldom heard it boom twice.. beer

I have killed dozens of critters with mine.

My kids call it Dads never miss rifle.

It is a very viable choice I can not think of a better running game rifle for me.

Killing deer with one of others just justifies them a wee bit more then just having them.

I will omit I just wanted them reason enough.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Either the 99 in 300 savage or 357 roberts. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot at a whitetail or mule deer out to 300 yards with the 257.

Posts: 190 | Location: rockdale, texas | Registered: 01 October 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Opening day is tomorrow.

The 257 rob it well be.

Then Savage 99 well come out when we start doing drives.

I am well be sitting with a 11yoa young lady.

Working hard on getting her, her 2nd deer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
P-dog,
I grew up in a ranching family that went to Colorado every year for elk, the old guys mostly used the 30-30, the kids a 25-35..one uncle packed a 300 Savage, considered a magnum by the rest and it ruined too much meat??? so they said. Uncle Elba never shot twice that I recall, and I swore when I got big Id get me a 300 mod 99..I never did but I got a 99 in 308 and loaded it down to 2650 FPS with a 150 gr. bullet, a hairs breath from a factory 300 Savage load..Years later I kicked that load up a good deal..Still have that gun and my early 25-35, still use them both when hunting horseback..I think a lot about the old days in my late years.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
I shot my first deer with a Savage 99F in .300 Savage in 1963. Many fond memories of that gun.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
45-70. Duh!

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote