THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: Adjusting Elevation While Hunting

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Adjusting Elevation While Hunting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
No fooling with the sights, for me. Both the 7mm Remington and the 6mm-284 are set up 2.5" high at 100 yards, PBR in the neighborhood of 325 yards. I will shoot a little further than that, but not much past 400 yards. I walk away from more of the longish shots than I take.

Posts: 14435 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Nothing fancy for me in Idaho.I have my .270 and .300 both three inches high at 100 yards and have had every since I can remember.It covers me as far as I care to shoot.I never have been much of a paper shooter but this way I never have to guess on hold over out past 300 which makes even Elk look small.

Good luck.....Jayco

Exactly, thats how it works here too. As a military man, Im sure that Russell can appreciate the benefits of simplifying things. Sometimes it can really make a difference.

Posts: 10159 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, the 3 inches high theory goes out the window in the day of laser rangefinder, IMHO.

That zero often puts you 4 inches high at around 160 yards, which is where most of the game is shot, where it often sees you, and where you don't have any time at all. So I zero at 200. With a Leupold VariX III, you can turn up the scope and use the bottom post for your 300 yard zero. Works great.

I used to zero high at 100, but started noticing too many high hits. For a while in the 80s I actually switched to a 400 yard zero - just put the crosshairs on the bottom of the belly, and pull the trigger.

I don't spin the knobs on my annual MN deer hunt, but I often do otherwise.

As for stalking or shooting, I can practice shooting every week, at all times of the day. So yea, I am a better shooter than hunter. But I practice constantly - I moved to Arizona for cheap airfares and easy access to long range shooting. I will never live in an area where I can't practice LRS.

BTW, my longest shot at game is 455 yards, pre-laser rangefinder days, so it isn't like I shoot game at long ranges. But like the guy who swings two bats on the on deck circle, I find the real thing seems much easier.

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote