Find
Notify
Tools

Question For Montana Residents
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted
I'm going to be heading up for elk and deer this year and I'm debating between having taxidermy done in Montana or back at home (assuming I get something). What do your local taxidermists charge for an elk and/or deer shoulder mount? Also, for any of you who live in the Butte/Anaconda area, do you have any taxidermists you would recommend? Thank you for your input.

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
crating and shipping costs will exceed any savings you realize from using a Montana taxidermist.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Tom Hardesty at Atcheson Taxidermy in Butte: http://www.atchesontaxidermy.com/

They do nice work.

Frans
(I have no stake in their business. I've visited their shop, and I've seen their work in Reno, and it looked good. Don't know about pricing)

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
I agree you won't save much money by having it done there, once you crate and ship it. That is unless you are planing on picking it up in the future. The quality could be better however than say by someone in Florida or places where taxidermists don't get much pracice with western animals. I would second Atcheson Taxidermy they do great work, IMO a little high I thought, but you always get what you pay for. Also there is a guy in Silver Star (about 25 miles south east of Butte) that does great work as well. I can't remember his name right at the moment(Rohds taxidermy, maybe???, not sure) Silver Star is only about 25 people its not hard to find his place Rob Stutz in Ennis does great work and is very reasonable (his place is called Jordan Creek Taxidermy right off hwy 287) he would be my first pick... Never had him do anything for me personally, but I used to spend quite a few hours in his shop looking at animals and BS'n with him...

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote