Find
Notify
Tools

More Hawaii hunting Questions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello,

Due to the fact the search option is disabled , I cannot return to my older post on Hawaii hunting. So if at all possible could anyone reccommend anyone that allows private land access for bowhunting pigs and goats on the Hawaian Islands? Im not looking for a guided hunt, just access with a reasonable tresspass fee. I will be in Maui Jan. 20-30.
Thank you!!!
Fordfreak

Posts: 274 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 04 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
About the only person that might be able to point you in the right direction is A-R poster "Geoff". He knows from where he speaks about hunting in Hawaii. I've shot critters in Hawaii twice but dunno about how much self-guided-trespass fee land you are going to find there.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was stationed in Hawaii for 3 years with the navy and was surprised to learn how much hunting was available. There are about a dozen public hunting areas on the islands with the main game being hogs and goats. I think there were 7 public areas on Oahu and 2 or 3 on Maui. You may not need to go to all the trouble of a trespass fee. I used to hunt hogs and goats out towards Kaena Point on Oahu for free.

Use a search engine like google to get the contact info for the Hawaiian Game and Fish Dept. They had maps and directions to all the hunting areas. If I remember correctly, the island of Maui has hogs, feral goats, feral sheep, wild turkey and something like 9 species of pheasants.

You say you don't want a guide, but I'm going to give you a name and address to one anyway. Lanai Company Game Management Division P.O.Box L Lanai, Ha 96763 (808)565-8202. They do hunts for Axis Deer, Mouflon Sheep and Blackbuck on the lands owned by some of the big pineapple farmers.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted the Big Island several times in the last few years. Hunting there is superb, but you're definitely not in Kansas anymore. The fact that you're a mainland tourist with a budget and a tight schedule means absolutely nothing to the locals, and can be more of a hindrance than a help. If you don't have a license yet, start the process online right now. It takes time and you need a Hunter's Safety Card regardless of your age. Don't wait to get it when you arrive, as that vendor (and every vendor on that side of the island) may be out of stock. If you start now -- and I mean today -- you might make it. Otherwise, forget it. Also, remember that any game law violation is a felony, and that if you're taking a firearm, you must register it with the chief of police within three days.

It's not as glum as I might make it look, but having your ducks in a row is absolutely essential. Hope this helps, Okie John.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve another e-mail with your second addy is on its way let me know if you get it.

Aloha!

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got it, Thank You.

Posts: 46 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 23 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies gentlemen.
I already have my hunter safety requirment waiver. All i need to do is buy a hunting license. Im just curious about the amount of game present on the public hunting areas.Is it worth the effort to even try bowhunting on Maui public land or should I take a rifle just in case?
I though of another question. Whats the best type of foot wear to hunt the islands? I was thinking a good high top hiking boot would suffice. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Fordfreak

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good job on the waiver, but like I said, get a license online before you go. The places I hunted on the Big Island all had plenty of game by mainland standards. I would take a rifle just in case you can't scout enough to get in place to use the bow. For hogs, spend the morning checking for trails and studying the lay of the land. Follow the trails until you find a wallow. Many trails will lead to/from it -- set up your dusk ambush on the one with the freshest sign. Goats will be targets of opportunity. Sheep probably will be as well. I have no idea about deer, but http://harmonyhunts.vibechild.com/links.htm is an excellent resource. Some of their pages are little hard to get to, but I've read every word and it was worth the hassle.

It's illegal to spend the night in a hunting area in Hawaii, so everything is a day hunt. That means that everyone starts from the same place and the deeper you go the better your hunting.

For the rifle: 30-06. It's a cannon by Hawaiian standards and ammo is available. I harp on ammo availability because not much is available there if you get in a bind. On one trip the TSA took 30+ rounds of 9.3x62 when the box it was in broke. Fortunately, I was going home, or I'd have been hurting. The 30-30 is another good choice, but in either case, know your 150-gr. zero, because 150-gr. Power Points are all I've ever seen for sale for either one. If you must take something odd, pre-pack and pre-address a box with enough ammo for your hunt and leave it with a buddy you trust to ship it to you if you get in a bind.

As for boots, the ground is steep and rocky and you will get wet. I like the cheap leather/nylon ones that cops wear. They support my clapped-out ankles well and they dry quickly.

PM me if you have any other questions.

Hope this helps, Okie John.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ford- Good on the waiver you can type in DLNR Hawaii in your search and it will bring up the Department of Land and Natural Resources website there you can get your hunting license if im not mistaking and most the info you need just search thru it a bit. They also have the hunting areas on their site also. The shoes should suffice and if you do bring a gun let me know and I'll talk to some of my friends who owns gunshope here and see if what you need is available on Maui. If you go to the Big Island let me know i'll give you a friends Info that you can contact he might be able to gelp you out.

Aloha!

Geoff you know anybody on Maui, My friends have moved??? Thanks!

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice gentlemen, I will give the public areas my best shot. Who knows maybe I'll get lucky and take a few goats and pigs!!!
I already e-mailed Geoff a couple days ago and he gave me a name and number to contact on Maui, so thanks again Geoff!!!

Fordfreak