Find
Notify
Tools

Best Rum?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted
I'm surprised none of you guys started this one yet.

Russ

------------------
"Out here, 'due process' is a bullet!" -- John Wayne, "The Green Berets"

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
<500 AHR>
posted
Damn I cannot remember the name. My brother-in-law drinks it. I know it isn't cheap and is from Jamaica. It is I think 8 years old dark rum runs around $25 - $30 a fifth.

Sombuddy who know fill in the name.

Todd E

one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorites are:

Strohs ( 80%) for making nun's tea on those frosty midwest mornings.

Otherwise a good cuban rum ( havana club) or Lemon Heart for sipping over ice.

[This message has been edited by rockhead (edited 03-09-2002).]

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Funny this topic would come up today.

My all time favorite rum is Yukon Hooch. It is actually a blend of rums with some proprietary stuff. It has a strong caramel flavor.

The coincidence is that I am just trying a new one for the first time. A friend of mine that manages the local liquor store recommended it, and although I actually drink very little, I was in the mood. And his recommendation is a good one. The rum is Young's Old Sam and it is deelish. Just what I need to wind down after a very stressful day.

Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Gunner>
posted
Babancourt Rum from the magic isle of Haiti (also known as the Pearl of the Antilles by those of us who've escaped) is the best I've ever had... Again, YMMV

Kevin

<Albertahunter>
posted
This is easy,

Appletton Estates 12 year,bar none!My 2 cents
ABH

one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
Damn! I can't think of a Rum that I didn't like! It must be that Navy squid in me, they all start to taste really good after the 3rd...4th....5th.....6th......drink!

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
<ovis>
posted
Lemon Hart with anything!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mount Gay Rum, made in Barbados.

s

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After much debate I think I would have go with the 338 Rum at the top with the 300 Rum a close second.

<500 AHR>
posted
Albertahunter,

Appletons 12 year old rum, that is what I was thinking of.

Todd E

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Stroh, it is really strong but smooth, I like it with Cahlua coffee liquer

Posts: 2111 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried Newfoundland Screech??

Posts: 408 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"fter much debate I think I would have go with the 338 Rum at the top with the 300 Rum a close second. "

Stole my line....;-)

Except I would perfer the 375 rum, since it isn't such an overbore hog.

s

------------------
I love 45
santilli@singleaction45.com

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mauser98

Which screech do you mean? the stuff they sell in the Canadian liquor stores? Or the stuff sold in unmarked bottles from the trunk of people's car in NFLD? The unmarked stuff is great though I haven't had any for quite some time.

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Jagermeister>
posted
Rum? You're not serious? Rum is disgusting. Tastes like shit!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jagermiester, we are looking for the best stuff so it might be the one that tastes less like $hit.

Beenleigh Rum, from a little town of the same name (minus the rum of course). Located approximately half way between Brisbane Qld. and Surfers Paradise. It may not still be in business but you used to be able to take your own gallon container and get it filled with 150 proof for what it cost for a quart or liter. It was incredible.

[This message has been edited by Customstox (edited 03-16-2002).]

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
Jagermiester,

You got me there, I couldn't tell you what shit taste like :} How many spoonfulls have you ate......Plus they say stuff is bad for you; Yuck............Yuck, Yuck!

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Hooligan>
posted
EASY!!!!

Best rum would have to be
"Bundaberg Rum" and
"Bundaberg Rum OP" (Over Proof)

No competition

<Jagermeister>
posted
Chic:

Hopefully you're right and the good stuff tastes a bit better!

CK:

Actually, I have not tried it, but...a good deal of the tasting sensation is actually perceived as result of how the smelling sensation is recording while you are eating whatever you are eating, unless it be something with a destinct taste that the tongue can distinguish: bitter, sweet, sour, salty. These tastes, your mouth can determine, but other than that, the majority of how a particular food-item tastes depends on how it smells to you. So, while I have not literally tasted $hit in my mouth, I do (as most of us do) know what it smells like, for the most part, and can base my statement around this principle. Unless [$hit] is sweet, sour, salty, or bitter, the nasal passage would be almost entirely responsible for determining how it tastes, and I doubt its tastes is like any of the 4 distinguishable by the tongue (seems reasonable to be able to doubt it to me; though maybe sour or bitter, no?)

At any rate, that's how you can justify using the expression, "tastes like $hit" in case anybody ever tries to get you with the bold and daring, "well how do you know what it tastes like?"

Literally though, that is not how I preceived rum to taste, though it wasn't all that better. The stuff I had was a rather impressive looking sort, as well: in a clear bottle with a black label and gold lettering it said Venezuelan Rum. It was volatile! And I figure that was pretty decent stuff...so what is bad rum? OH well, not my preference ( I did not mean to insult yours).

Tah Tah

one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
Jagermeister.........The statement was ment as a joke......Nothing more.......And personally, I agree with you, I have yet to taste a good South American rum.......Venezuelans and Colombians claim to make a rum......But man, it is bad stuff. You have to be drunk to get past the taste.....Not good. Now the Caribbean Islands.....That is where all the world class rum is at.....My opinion.

<Jagermeister>
posted
CK, don't worry, I could tell you were kidding. So was/am I. Tschau.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am forever impressed by the very high quality of Indian rum (Old Monk Rum, 7 years old blended, by Mohan Meatin Ltd.).

Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
<FastEddie>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by carcano91:
I am forever impressed by the very high quality of Indian rum (Old Monk Rum, 7 years old blended, by Mohan Meatin Ltd.).

Carcano

Lambs Navy - The Rum of the canadian trapper.
Not easily available at your local source.

------------------

posted Hide Post
As far as knowing what a good rum is I can't but I can tell you what is the worst SCREECH! I think the Newfies scrapped it out of the bilge and added a bit of paint stripper to make it a wee more palitable.

------------------
cointoss

Posts: 19 | Location: MI | Registered: 10 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably the 7mm Rum. he he

------------------
Thanks, Mark G

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3

[This message has been edited by Mark G (edited 04-04-2002).]

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Screech was originally the remnants of a rum barrel. You would fill an empty rum barrel with water and sugar, and let it ferment for a while. When you got desperate enough-screech. As for the best, I always preferred Hudson Bay Demerara Over Proof. After that Lemon Hart. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan

do they still make/sell Hudson's bay demerera? I looked for it last time I was in Canada ( Ont and Que) but could not find it (is it sold in ALta?)

The screech I had was a little different ... It was home brewed by a newfie out of molases so not technically screech which as you correctly said is the bottom of the Barrels..

RH

one of us
posted Hide Post
the world famous BUNDABERG RUM

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends if we are speaking about white rum or old rum :

White : P�re Labat (Marie Galante), Bologne (Guadalupe), La Cayennaise (French Guyana).

Have you ever tasted the "Ti' punch" drink? 1/5 cane sirup (brown is better), 4/5 white rum, and a piece of lime.:d

Old : Mount Gay (Barbados), Barbancourt (Ha�ti), Trois Rivi�res (Martinique).

Any Cuban is good enough to prepare mojito and da�quiri, tastes like frog's semen.

Posts: 552 | Location: France | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Orion>
posted

Best RUM in the world is STROH-RUM from
Austria (Klagenfurt).
Weidmansheil!
Martin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rockhead, I really don't know. I haven't bought any in a very long time (rum makes me do strange things, LOL) but I'll have a look next time I'm in a shop and see, and I'll post back. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is Hudson's Bay Demerara the one with the kilted pipe with the bearskin hat on the label? Marvelous stuff, that, drank it only once. Late Father in law had a third of a bottle left that he brought back from Canada. I drank the whole thing with some ice and staggered home.

Other than that, Stroh. Drink nun's tea out in the woods with Rockhead.

quote:
Originally posted by rockhead:
Dan

do they still make/sell Hudson's bay demerera? I looked for it last time I was in Canada ( Ont and Que) but could not find it (is it sold in ALta?)

The screech I had was a little different ... It was home brewed by a newfie out of molases so not technically screech which as you correctly said is the bottom of the Barrels..

RH

Posts: 207 | Location: Nicolet National Forest, WI, USA | Registered: 21 January 2002Reply With Quote
<pakrattusnongratus>
posted
You guys drinking or shooting here?

------------------
Member NRA, Life NMLRA, Life NAHC

one of us
posted Hide Post
You get another vote for Lemon Hart from me. Just add a little 7-up and a twist of lime and it taste like caramel and goes down smooth. Smokey

Posts: 160 | Location: Whitehorse Yukon Canada | Registered: 20 April 2001Reply With Quote
<rickdm>
posted
I hated rum until I tried Havana Club 10 year old anejo, it is truly sipping rum (as much of an oxymoron as that seems).Something about Cuban soil that creates outstanding cigars and outstanding rum.

Rick