New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Effect of rain on deer movement?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Happiness is trying to set up a tent -and keep it on site- in Wyoming with the wind gusting to 75mph. We got 'er done and the rancher (who thought it was funnier than TV) told us "that's why we use Basque wagons when we camp."

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
The urban myth that deer "stay home" during nasty weather conditions was made up by hunters that are too soft and/or lazy to hunt in nasty weather.

One thing is for sure... Deer pattern hunters a hell of a lot better than hunters pattern deer and they see a LOT less hunters when the weather is $hitty... What does that tell you?

Get your butt out there and hunt. It you don't like getting wet then get a good rainsuit.

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Hey befus,

How did you do? We hunted in the rain north of Abilene in Haskell County and had 6 hunters take 5 deer. The 6th one shot and missed. It is time to get the chili on the pot and the backstrap on the grill. I have to admit, it felt good to take a hot shower though.

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of befus
posted Hide Post
Well it went all right. Got out and did not get too wet. Got a decent buck and a doe. See buck below. That soil down there is something! Half an inch of rain and it is impassable to all but 4x4's. By the second day even the four wheel drive trucks were getting stuck and everyone gave up and went home. O.K. by me as mine was in the bag (cooler that is).

Thanks to all who posted here.

Posts: 241 | Location: Beautiful NW Arkansas | Registered: 27 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 475/480
posted Hide Post
Where I hunt in E. TX ,I have always had good luck in rainy weather,took my first 2 deer in rainy weather years ago, will try again this weekend rain is in the forcast.
Sean

Posts: 562 | Location: Houston Tx | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of T
posted Hide Post
Shot while misting rain Saturday. 20"inside.

Posts: 292 | Location: Tx | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Nice deer! What did you get him with?

Nice deer for you to Befus!

But, don't cut the cape off! That thang is worth $$$!!

one of us
Picture of T
posted Hide Post
Client took him with a 300 Win.

Posts: 292 | Location: Tx | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a nice buck but you best be carefull squatting in that cactus !

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Quote:

That's a nice buck but you best be carefull squatting in that cactus !

Looks like he already did and is in a hurry to get the picture overwith so he can put some hydrogen peroxide on the wounds.

one of us
Picture of worriedman
posted Hide Post
Last Friday was the final day of first split muzzle loading season in West TN. Took the day off work, 20+ mph winds, steady light rain, I saw deer all day. Took a decent 8 point a few minutes before last light, he and two more bucks came out to feed in a cut corn field about 500 yards away, hit the grunt tube and rattle bag, they lit out at a trot, got to within 50 yrds., offered a neck shot only, but that resulted in no tracking. Evidently the pre rut has kicked in here, as I saw bucks chasing does all day, and they did not seem to mind the rain one bit! I have always found that light to moderate rain does not seem to affect the deer movement here. One thing is for sure, right after a heavy rain, as soon as it stops, every animal is up and moving, cows, horses, or deer, so I sit the rain out and hope for the best.

Posts: 742 | Location: West Tennessee | Registered: 27 April 2004Reply With Quote