New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Deer I will be Hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This just might be the buck I will hunt this year...

http://www.hunt101.com/img/338862.JPG

Posts: 199 | Location: D/FW Texas | Registered: 10 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Ahh, 259 AM, the typical Monster Buck Photo. Hopefully he'll screw-up and show himself in daylight hours come rut.

How do you like the hog fences around your feeders? We've thought about doing it in some of our areas where the porkers are so distructive.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the first year for me. A guy I work with has been using them for years and swears by them. The hogs can still come around, they just can't get in and screw everything up. I've just been using barbed wire, but last year, the big hogs tore that up pretty much my just marching right through, and of course, then came the cows. Got a couple of pics where the hogs were also chasing the deer away from the feeder. This year, the deer can get in, and the hogs can't, so hopefully it will help.

By the way, what part of Louisiana are you from. Not sure if I've asked before, but I was born and raised there in West Monroe, and hunted all over Farmerville back in the early to last 70's...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
what do you feed the deer? A commercial mix or regular grain.

'I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens"!

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge

Posts: 350 | Location: Cascade, Montana | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The buck has excellent potential but looks to be middle age. Give him another two or three years and he could become a monster.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M16:
The buck has excellent potential but looks to be middle age. Give him another two or three years and he could become a monster.

I agree. That buck appears to have excellent potential. He has a well balanced set of antlers from what I can tell. If you can keep other hunters out of there, save that buck for 2007!!

Probably be tough though if he was only a few yards from you.

Good luck!

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, I'm sure if we started feeding protein, the horns would grow like crazy. The only thing is corn, and its not year round. I'm sure if somebody sees him, he won't last...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like the others have said, he is a nice deer with great potential. I would wait a year.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
one you pass up is one you don't get. what do you think he'll score?

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Without seeing the spread, I would say he'd go a solid 140 B&C or maybe a little better.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
By the way, what part of Louisiana are you from. Not sure if I've asked before, but I was born and raised there in West Monroe, and hunted all over Farmerville back in the early to last 70's...

Ain't that something, I was born and raised in West Monroe as well and I've hunted right close to Farmerville in Marion all along. We've got access to about 600+- acres of family hunting property and I'm in a neighboring hunting club of 8500 acres. Small World.

What part of Texas you huntin'?

I'm headed to the Panhandle next week on a whitetail hunt, up around Mclean.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunting about 15 miles of Jacksboro, which is about 60 miles of Fort Worth and 60 miles south of Wichita Falls.

Graduated from WMHS in 78....Yourself?