New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Caliber
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am thinking of buying a new gun maybe soon and I am deciding between the 223 and the 22-250. This will be used for shooting small game like coyotes and rabbits for fun and for shooting lots of ammo just for fun. I would like a balance between inexpensive ammo and good trajectory. Which of these two is the better choice in ya'lls opinion? Thanks a bunch-Nathan

Posts: 50 | Location: Katy, Texas | Registered: 07 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh and I guess Ill throw in the .17 for another option. I can't decide between the three! The thing is that I will be buying a 22 someday too and this one is smaller than a 22, so I dont know if its a good idea. What do yall think?

Posts: 50 | Location: Katy, Texas | Registered: 07 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For coyotes and bunnies, a .223 in any good AR clone or a bolt action would be a good tool.
V-Max's on either would be a good place to start.
Head shots on bunnies for eating and lung or chest shots on coyotes for pelts.
.223 is the most inexpensive ammo aside from a .22lr.

[ 12-01-2003, 07:41: Message edited by: DaveC ]

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the 223.

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will throw in with the 223 as the ammo is reasonable, and the cartridge does get the job done. But, that 22-250 is pretty awesome if ammo cost doesnt bother you.

Posts: 492 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There's actually very little real world difference in the effective range of the .223 and the .22-250, particularly if you are using it under hunting conditions, as in off-hand or from an improvised rest. The .223 is much more economical (even if you are a handloader, and ESPCIALLY if you are not), it has less muzzle blast, barrels will theoretically last longer, and it is available in a wider variety of rifles. Go with the .223.

P.S. The .17's are specialty guns which are not particularly practical for the usage you described.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote