New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drop Camp Colorado elk hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'd like to plan a last minute elk hunt, probably Colorado as I can pick up a tag without a draw. Does anyone have a line on a reliable outfitter who will do a drop camp that will put me in an area where there are some elk? I have a buddy who is finishing up a divorce and wants to do something for himself, so asked if I wanted to do a quick elk hunt. I can even provide my own tent and camping equipment, just have someone pack me in and meat out. The main thing is someone who will make an effort to pack us into an area that is not barren of game.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Colorado elk country is quite large, almost Statewide, so a more specific location would help in answering your question. I know several outfitters in the Pagosa Springs area, don't know if they would do a drop camp, but might be a start?

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty open as to where in Colorado. Just want a reliable outfitter and hopefully more elk than hunters!

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
j- most outfitters, me included, don't/won/t take a dropcamp to one of their best or favorite areas for good reason. They obviously save those spots for their full pay clients. I tried the dropcamp thing many, many years ago myself a couple of times and didn't get "dropped" in very good areas. I have since learned that on the ground scouting, talking with USFS folks and getting to know some locals have provided much better results when it comes to my hunting out of the areas I already know.

Drop camps can be fine, just don't expect much of anything above and beyond what the name implies.

I had a buddy that got dropped camped for bighorn in Colorado last year and it worked out great. The outfitter was legitimate and did what he sayed he would do. BUT, and this is major, my buddy knew exactly where he wanted to be dropped and a 179" Bighorn ram was the result.

Good luck in your search and have a great hunt no matter what.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's not possible, but I've done really well with drop camps in Alaska on the cheap. I don't want to pay $1500 for a camping trip however, I want a hunting opportunity.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
j- I agree with you on the drop camp in Alaska thing. Have done that a couple of times as well with good results. Just be extra careful in Colorado. I'll do a little checking and let you know if I come up with something that might work for you.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Any help is appreciated. In the past, my hunt recommendations from the AR forum have worked out good for me.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I know an outfitter that is east of Grand Junction that offers drop camp hunts on stuff just off Grand Mesa and the Book Cliffs.

Problem is he is usually already booked up at this time. PM me and I will send you the contact info.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randall - You have a PM. Later.

Larry Sellers