Find
Notify
Tools

WY -- Looking At Funding Options
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted
Wyoming Game and Fish Department Proposes Options to Increase Funding for Wildlife Conservation

Statewide Public Meeting to Discuss Options on October 11

Cheyenne—After months of working with the Wyoming Legislature, partner organizations, and the public, the Wyoming Game and Fish Department is proposing five options to increase funding for wildlife management and conservation. The options include a license fee adjustment, a big game license super raffle, separate white-tailed and mule deer licenses, annual or biennial license fee adjustments tied to inflation (indexing), and increased revenue from Wyoming Wildlife Magazine.

“We are at a crossroads in Wyoming,” says WGFD Director Scott Talbott. “Our costs for managing Wyoming’s world-class wildlife resources continue to rise dramatically, while many of our traditional funding sources are in decline. We remain committed to maintaining broad-based public access to outdoor recreation opportunities. But meeting this goal, and maintaining current levels of services and programs, requires additional funding. To offset the effects of inflation and reduced numbers of deer and antelope licenses issued, the Wyoming Game and Fish Department needs to raise an additional 8 to10 million dollars annually to continue to provide current levels of services and programs.”

The most recent license fee increase in Wyoming was in 2008. That increase was intended to carry the department through 2012. By implementing operational efficiencies and cutting costs, including a three percent budget reduction this year, the department will be able to maintain adequate operating funds through 2014. If the department is not able to obtain additional revenues by 2015, budget cuts of up to 20 percent may be necessary beginning in 2015.

License fee indexing would give the Wyoming Game and Fish Commission authority to adjust license fees based on the rate of inflation with periodic commission and legislative review. Currently, nearly all license fees are approved by the Wyoming Legislature.

Proposed license fee adjustments (see table below) are based on rates of inflation, prices in adjacent states, and optimum price points calculated by Southwick Associates, an independent research firm specializing in fish and wildlife economics and statistics.

A big game license super raffle would raise revenue by selling chances for a big game license, or a combination of big game licenses, for an area of hunter choice in Wyoming. This type of raffle has proven effective in raising substantial funds in other states.

Separating white-tailed and mule deer licenses would help increase revenue by allowing some hunters to purchase one of each type of deer license. The change would also help wildlife managers adjust population densities in areas with both white-tailed and mule deer.

The department will also conduct an analysis to determine if a subscription price increase for Wyoming Wildlife Magazine would raise additional revenue, and how much of an increase would raise much-needed revenue without sacrificing subscriber numbers.

“These proposals, if adopted, will allow the department to maintain its current level of service for four or five years, and maybe a little longer,” says WGFD Deputy Director John Emmerich. Beyond that, there is a real need to find new and alternative sources of funding. Hunters and anglers currently pay for 80 percent of our operating costs and will continue to be a vital source for funding support in the future. However, it is no longer fair for them to bear such a high percentage of our budget, especially in a state like Wyoming, where so many people benefit from our wildlife.”

The department has set up a page on the WGFD website for the public to submit comments and will hold a statewide public meeting on October 11 at 7 p.m. to discuss both short-term funding proposals and longer term funding issues. The public is encouraged to review these proposals and discuss them with WGFD personnel or provide comments via the website. Those interested can take part in the meeting at WGFD headquarters in Cheyenne, at any WGFD office, or via the internet at http://bit.ly/GameFish. Input will be used to develop a final proposal for consideration by the Legislative Travel, Recreation, Wildlife and Cultural Resources Joint Committee at their November 9, 2012, meeting in Lander.

“We really want to hear from the public on our proposals for short-term funding increases, as well as ideas for broadening our funding base,” says Talbott. “We’ll review everything we hear from the public with the legislature to determine the best path forward.”

The WGFD is taking public comments in person at the October 11 meeting, or through October 24 on the WGFD website at wgfd.wyo.gov.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Already made my comments, including regarding the proposed 67% increase for a deer tag to $520!!! This company G&F hired must be nuts because we sure haven't had a 67% inflation rate since the last price increase!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Possible fee adjustments include:
No changes to youth or pioneer licenses
$31 to $48: resident antelope tag
$270 to $370: nonresident antelope tag
$36 to $52: resident deer tag
$50 to $75: resident elk tag
$575 to $750: nonresident elk tag
$115 to $250: resident bighorn sheep tag
$7 to $12: resident bighorn sheep preference point
$400 to $250: resident bison cow/calf tag
$2,500 to $1,500: nonresident bison cow/calf tag
$22 to $36: yearly resident fishing license
$22 to $15: resident game bird/small game license
$14 to $17: resident turkey
$70 to $85: nonresident turkey

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You missed the most ridiculous one of the bunch and that is the NR deer tag from $312 to $520. Iit's getting lambasted by everyone on the internet the way the quality and deer numbers are going down in most of the state.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would hope that they would keep doe/fawn, cow/calf tags less expensive. At least those that like to shoot some thing for the meat will still be able to afford to do it.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
kudu56---They say the present plan is to leave those licenses and the kids licenses as is, which is at least a bit of good news to come out of Cheyenne.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
They say the present plan is to leave those licenses and the kids licenses as is

That's good! I don't fish much if at all, anymore, so they can do what they want with fishing licenses. The rest I don't care much about. Like it is going to matter anyway. I wonder why they think a deer tag is worth $4 more than an antelope?

One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
I don't think anyone wants to pay more, than they already do.

Going to be interesting to see how they come up with the money.

I have a question. Does the state get any of the money that the Govenors tags raise from Wild Sheep/ GSC/OVIS, SCI and RMEF auctions?

I would think the state would keep giving away those tags and use that money for it's own internal finances.

Under the assumption that a Govenors sheep tag is worth what, $40,000? The wildlife organization can still make money by keeping 10% for a handling fee for running the auctions. As the auctioned tag will probably go for more than a tag if the state sold it itself.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
kudu56---You lost me on that $4 statement! They propose $370 for antelope and $520 for deer, which is a $150 difference.

MOA---To the best of my knowledge, Wyoming has exactly the setup you mentioned on the Governors tags in that the organization selling/auctioning them off get 10% and the G&F gets 90% of the money raised back.

One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Topgun 30-06:
kudu56---You lost me on that $4 statement! They propose $370 for antelope and $520 for deer, which is a $150 difference.

MOA---To the best of my knowledge, Wyoming has exactly the setup you mentioned on the Governors tags in that the organization selling/auctioning them off get 10% and the G&F gets 90% of the money raised back.

Topgun, thanks I didn't know that. I knew they donated a lot of tags to the wildlife auctions. Didn't realize they got that much back. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
Not that this will be a popular suggestion, but I think the varmint hunters from out of state are a huge financial cow they haven't milked yet.

They could do $30 for a 5 day, and $100 a year for varming hunting.

There are tons of guys that drive big distances to shoot pasture poodles, and tons of guys that live in Salt Lake and Denver that shoot in Wyoming every weekend.

Kind of an untapped resource. If they sold 1000 5 day permits and 100 annual permits it's $40,000.

That is what I suggested on their website.

The resident varmint license could be included into resident fishing and small game.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
kudu56---You lost me on that $4 statement! They propose $370 for antelope and $520 for deer, which is a $150 difference

I was talking about resident deer tags.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gotcha, LOL! I thought maybe you were in a hurry and made a typo!