Killing two birds with one stone.

Todd E

one of us
posted Hide Post
why don't you add whiskey as well,

My favorite Canadian whiskey is: Gibson's
favorite Irish whiskey is: Black Bush
favorite American Bourbon: Eagle Rare

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My favorite bourbon is Jack Daniels.

My favorite single malt is Balvenie 21 year old, Port Wood finished.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<500 AHR>
posted
Rockhead,
They are Whiskies! Admittedly I did leave out Canadian and Irish varieties. I didn't want to hog all the categories after all.

My Favorites

Bourbon: Bookers
Single Malt: Glenmorangie (spelling?)

Single malt is Scotch Whiskey. Canadian whiskies are all blends to the best of my knowledge and therefore not. Bourbon is American whiskey from Bourbon County Kentucky. Irish whiskies are similar in ingredients to Scotch Whiskey the difference being in the roasting of the malt.

Todd E

<ovis>
posted
There are so many good ones:

Single Malt: McCarthy's of Oregon
Irish Whiskey: John Jamieson
Canadian : Alberta Springs
Bourbon : Booker Noe

<500 AHR>
posted
GeorgeS,

Technically speaking Jack Daniels is Tennesee Whiskey. However I feel that we should include the Volunteers in the survey to.

So Tennesee Sour Mash Whiskey will be included in the Bourbon selection.

Excellent choice in Scotch.

Todd E

<Hoghead>
posted
Best Bourbon: BLANTONS SINGLE BARREL
Don't know about the rest. I don't drink anything but Blantons. $50 a fifth.

one of us
posted Hide Post
30YR Vintage Cask from the Balvenie distillery in Scotland....

Posts: 935 | Location: USA | Registered: 03 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bourbon-Jack Daniels. Can't stand Scotch or most blended whiskey. I like several Irish whiskeys, and I like cognac.

------------------
JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Canadian Rye Whiskey:
1. Crown Royal
2. Canadian Club Classic
3. Tangle Ridge (basically Alberta Springs' premium offering)
4. Wisers Deluxe
5. Gibsons Sterling

Scotch Whiskey:
1. Chivas Regal (limited edition 25 year)
2. Glenlivet
2. Glenmorangie

Irish Whiskey:
1. Bushmills 10yr
2. Black Bush
3. Jameson 1780

Tennessee Whiskey:
1. Good ole JD

Bourbon:
1. Wild Turkey Rare Breed
2. Jim Beam

Gotta stay warm up here somehow,

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not a bourbon connoiseur but I believe "bourbon" is unblended corn whiskey. Some say it must be made in Kentucky to be "bourbon".

The absolute best Scotch whiskey I've had is made in Crieff by the Glenturret distillery.

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Red Green>
posted
I don't care for bourbon even though my mother is from KY and father from TN. It may have something to do with a fifth of Wild Turkey long ago that someone brought on a camping trip on the Columbia River. I can't drink Tequila anymore, either. I don't even know if I spelled it correctly.

My first choice in single malt is Lagavulin, Laphroaig second. Now I'm going to have to give Balvenie a go.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just to clear things up (TODD!!) Bourbon, by law, is whiskey which must contain, at least 50% corn. It must be aged no less than 3 years in new, charred white oak barrels, and it SHOULD come from Kentucky but not all does. Not necessarily from Bourbon county but more on that later. Its made in Franklin, Jessamine, Jefferson, Hardin, and many other counties. For example: Early Times is made in Lousiville. Heaven Hill is made in Bardstown. Maker's Mark is made in Loretto. Jim Beam is made near Cleremont. Labrot and Graham is made near Versailles. Wild Turkey is made on the banks of the Kentucky River near Lawrenceberg. Jack Daniels is NOT bourbon...probably because of the charcoal filtering process before being barrled and aged. In any case Kentucky was once known as "Bourbon County" when it was still part of Virginia. Personally, I'm not real fond of the super mellow "premium" bourbons of late. I want my whiskey to have some bite to it to remind me I'm alive and drinking something other than iced tea. Makers Mark is pretty good as is Jim Beam.

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Gunner>
posted
Bourbon - Maker's Mark (though Wild Turkey will do the trick handily, especially the high octane version)

Single Malt - The MacCallan 21 year old (comes in a hand made wooden crate with leather fittings and costs as much as a nice scope...)

YMMV and I'd be willing to taste test any other samples y'all have lyin' around.

Regards,

Kevin

one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
Makers Mark for me! The other stuff I don't touch.

But here's one for you; Straight from State of Antioquia, Colombia; Aguardiente -
Sort of has a cross flavor of a strong vodka and a licorice liqueur that bites......Served straight up in shot glass with a ice cold water chaser. I think it taste better straight from the freezer. People that drink this stuff, say the Antioqueno brew is the best? I know one thing, it will clear your sinus.

[This message has been edited by CK (edited 03-09-2002).]

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Tim/co>
posted
everybody sing along "rye whiskey rye whiskey rye whiskey i cry if it wasnt for rye whiskey i surley would die"

<500 AHR>
posted
Kentucky Nimrod,

Thanks for clarifying that for me. I am by no means a Bourbon historian. Jack Daniels is also aged in charred maple barrels instead of oak. I was told that is why Jack is "sweeter" than Bourbon.

I did get the feeling that you were a little upset. I assure you sir it was not my intention to insult anyone. Please forgive my ignorance. I just figured that we could allow the Tennessee Whiskies into the list to allow the many Jack Daniels fans to speak their opinions.

Todd E

posted Hide Post
Okay, Jack is not bourbon, Maker's Mark would be my pick.

I'm sticking with my choice of single malt, though. It's good stuff, right Todd?

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve V:

Most commercial bourbons are blends of different batches from the same distillery, not counting the single barrels, obviously.

My favorite bourbons, in no particular order:

1)Elijah Craig 12 year old, around $13 a fifth and the true bargain of the bunch and one of the best to my taste
2) the late lamented Old Ezra 15 yr old bourbon, no longer made, the carrying cost was too high, but I stocked up when there was still some around. They have replaced it with Old Ezra 7(?) yr old which is quite good but not as smooth
3)Henry McKenna single barrel
4) another great bargain in the single barrel bunch,about $20 a bottle, whose name escapes me at the moment, I'll think of it and fill this in.

In general, I believe I have tried every single barrel bourbon and they are pretty much up to individual taste preferences as to which you prefer. I think that most of the more expensive ones are just that, more expensive and taste no better, than some of the others with less advertising in the mix. There ain't many bad bourbons.

Rye Whiskey:

Both Jim Beam and Wild Turkey make great ryes, as do many of the Canadian companies but you don't see them down south much.

Scotch whiskey:

Got horribly ill on 2 fifths of Johnny Walker Black when I was quite young and dumb, as opposed to be quite old and dumb, and just can't redevelop a taste for it, and frankly am not sure why I ever drank it to start with, but to each his own the man said as he kissed the cow.

Irish:

Black Bush, going away.

Cognac: Of the semi-reasonably priced ones.

Hennesy VSOP
Marnier La Postolle makes some exceptional armangacs, but the better ones ain't reasonable.

Canadian Whisky:

Without doubt, to me, Wiser's Oldest, which used to be aged 18 years,not sure now, is the best thing to come out of Canada prior to the winter Olympics.

Canadian Club Reserve 10 year Old is quite good too.

Moonshine:

NE Texas or McCurtin County, Ok. Can't be more specific than that.

Try 'em, you'll like 'em.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lynn D
posted Hide Post
Adding a ladies' opinion here and a canadian one at that. My taste in liquors does not run to bourbons, however, I was taught to appreciate a fine glass of scotch by my father ( single malt ). My favorites being:

Glenfiddich which runs about $50 a 40oz in my area.

Johnny Walker Blue Label pure and smooth which I can only purchase in the US at about $150 a bottle. This one is a scotch drinkers' dream and your wallet's nightmare.

Question for you gentleman ? May I ask your opinion on " rusting the scotch " ( addition of water or soda ). Personally I prefer it straight up one cube.

Lynn D

Posts: 1187 | Location: Quebec, Canada | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
Would have to say Glenfiddich though I do keep a bottle of Johnny Walker around to dissuade those who are unworthy. LOL. Regards, Matt.

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
<shall>
posted
Red Green,
I like you selections of Islay Single Malts. Your choices of Lagavulin and Lphroaig just might be my choices too. Right in there are Ardbeg and Caol Ila. Naturally from Islay. As the Scots call their whisky, "The Water of Life."

Steve

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
It is really hard to say, it depend on actual mind.

Bourbon:

Jim Beam Black (but never tasted Booker Noe)
Maker's Mark
Rebel Yell
Four roses

Irish:
Jameson

British:
if I want something "hard" and "rough" I choose simply Johnie Walker Red label, if I want something "hard" and "rought" but different, I use "Balantines", for something "rounded" Grants, for something really "smooth" I choose Irish whisky
Chivas Regal is good too

malt: I like blends . . .

other:
Jack Daniels except green label is good too . . .

Posts: 2104 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd,
Naw not peeved...just had to set the record straight as distilling is one of our primary industries here in KY and a source of pride and tradition. And BTW, Jack D. is also aged in charred white oak barrels. My girlfriend's father actually is CEO of Bluegrass Cooperage which makes barrels for most of Brown Forman's subsidiaries...including Jack Daniels.
Its funny how whiskey making got started on the frontier... Farmers did not have an easy way to transport and sell the corn that the governments back then encouraged settlers to grow. But whiskey was imminently easier to transport and a gallon of whiskey brought way more $$$ wise than the two bushels of corn it took to make that gallon of liquor. So whiskey became the informal currency of the early frontier.
Sorry to ramble on so.

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised none of you mentioned "Famous Grouse" as a scotch. It is surely the best kept secret in the USA. Try it any you'd throw rocks at Johnny Walker. It is not a single malt but is excellent.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
K Nimrod: Of course you are correct. I guess my favorite bourbon would have been Old Ezra, but can't get it anymore. Henry McKenna will do.

------------------
JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mark in SC
posted Hide Post
I'm a bourbon man also, and just about any good Kentucky bourbon will do. Over the years I've switched around and tried them all. Maker's Mark is my current favorite, but there's nothing wrong with Old Grandad, Wild Turkey, Rebel Yell, Jim Beam, or Elijah Craig.

The single barrels are good but frankly not worth the additional cost IMHO. There are two bourbons that I think are definitely "Best Buys." The first is Old Heaven Hill; it's a 100 proof, bottled in bond, bourbon sold in 1.75 liter plastic bottles for around $16.00. Try it and see if you don't agree that it's a great whisky at a very good price. The other "Best Buy" is Old Grandad 114 proof. It's not a single barrel whisky but it sure tastes like one at half the price.

Gotta go now, it's cocktail time. I always enjoy a mixed drink at the end of the day...3 ounces of bourbon over 6 ice cubes..."stirred not shaken!" Cheers!

------------------
NRA and GOA Life Member
Do your part to protect our 2nd Amendment rights and preserve our hunting heritage!

Posts: 692 | Location: South Carolina Lowcountry | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PS:

Best Gin:

tie: Tanqueray Malacca or No. 10.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Michael Swickard>
posted
Scotch is MacCallens: Love those Sherry casks!

Bourbon is Makers Mark

<JAN>
posted
My favorite is
Glenmorangie singel highland Scotch Whisky
I recommend you all to try it.

Janne

<Paladin>
posted
In these parts, a really good beverage is made from corn, is clearer than water and has very, very little natural water in it, and requires at least six months of peace and quiet in a stone jug, set in a cool, dark place. The jug first should be "sweetened" by boiling it out with a strong borax (NOT the soap!) solution and then air-dried so the borax gets into the pores. Sometimes a single shot of one of the cheap bar whiskies (such as mentioned above) is added to the rest of the jug to add flavor. Mighty fine, good for what ails ya.

Paladin

<phurley>
posted
Gentlemen -- The Bourbon is aged in NEW charred white oak barrels. The Whiskies can be aged in used barrels. For me the choice is weekdays- Jim Beam or Henry McKenna, Fridays and Saturday-Makers Mark, Sundays only- Woodford Reserve. To celebrate deer kill the everyday variety, anything bigger the Makers Mark or Woodford Reserve. Scotch can be anything as long as it is from Scotland.

------------------

[This message has been edited by phurley (edited 03-13-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Irish:
Tullamore Dew

Scotch:
Oban

Don't really care for bourbon or Canadian rye.

Posts: 1243 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
I love my bourbon and I came across some great stuff in Townsville ts called Knobs creek, very nice indeed.
Bakes

Posts: 8029 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Eric Mavor>
posted
My favourite is Scapa, from the Orkneys. Auchantoshan is excellent too.

one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
Laphroaigh - horrible expensive, but a concentrate of the best of Scotch. Only for exceptional occasions, worth something extra.

Famous Grouse for the tight-fisted every day.

Worst of all: the east-german copy made in the communist era. I would rather drink a glas of petrol.

Fritz

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote