THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Barnes bullets in Lothar barrels: Accurate?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes bullets in Lothar barrels: Accurate?
 Login/Join

<Jordan>
posted
Gentlemen:

As I think most of us will agree, Barnes monolithic bullets are somewhat temperamental in the accuracy department. It seems accuracy varies quite a bit with this bullet, from barrel to barrel. Has anyone shot them in a Lothar-Walter barrel? What can you tell me about their accuracy in that barrel?

Thanks,

<Mads>
posted
Jordan - I don't think that who made the barrel does any difference do to accurracyty.

You'll see shilen, douglas, Lothar-walter, schultz & Larsen or factory barrels from Winchester and Remington even barrels from the same production lines who doesn't like the same bullet. One will make �" groups the other one will only group inside a watermelon!

Lothar-Walter Barrels is as good as they gets - but they can't garanty that the barrel will shot with this or that bullet!

Regards

Mads

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Getting a barrel to shoot with Barnes X seems to be a roll of the dice. However, seat the bullet at least 0.050 back off the lands.

As for the monolithic solids, I get good accuracy from TCCI. The barnes solids I have are visibly inconsistent.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot Barnes X in about every barrel, and it make no difference. Either they love 'em or hate 'em.

I shoot Walther barrels in a 338 Mag and 300 Win.
and it makes no difference in them either.

Walther is as good as they get, but no guarantees.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot the Barnes X in three barrels now, and four different weights. All of them, two Pac-Nor Super Matches, and factory Winchester Featherweight shoot from .4-1.3 MOA. None of them shoot better when I load them .05 off the lands. All shoot their best when loaded just off the lands. The trick is to try enough different powders, and, of course, get all the old copper out of the barrel. Out of H4350, IMR & H4831, and Re-19, only Re-19 shoots well with the 100 gr. XLC in my .25-284, for instance. Then, some powders don't yeild both accuracy and velocity. In my factory Win. FWT, only 748 does both, so far. E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
<sniper300M>
posted
eremicus is right. try seating the x bullet .030 off. that alone tightened my groups tremendously. went from shooting patterns to nice 1/2 moa groups.

one of us
posted Hide Post
So far all the Lothar Barrels I have used shot the Barnes X bullets in at least and inch and most other bullets half that...they are the smoothest barrel in the world, due to their honing process, and I think that contributes to them shooting well with Barnes X..Now If I could just get them to expand everytime I shoot something, which I have not been able to do. GS Customs work great in every respect for me and they are monolithic....The back half of a NorthFork is monolithic and they are the most accurate bullet that I have ever shot and i know a bunch more folks that agree on that accuracy bit.

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote