Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Helpful hint for skinning a deer
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Heard of doing that to wild pigs.
Also heard someone used propane for this and his buddy came up while smokeing and blew the pig up.
I remember my grandpa tying a rock into the hide and wraping the winch cable around it. Spreading a tarp on the ground and anchoring the deer to a tree and pulling the hide off, Took about 20 seconds.
Good Hunting

Posts: 227 | Location: Bakersfield Ca. USA | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted Hide Post
I have not tried this but it sounds feasable. A co-worker said that they prep a deer for skinning by making a very small incision at the knee joints and elbow joints. They use a short piece of 1/4" stainless tubing crossed over to fit a air hose attached to a compressor. The tubing is inserted into a hole in the leg and the subsequent blast of air will baloon the hide off of the muscle tissue. The deer is then dressed out in the usual fashion but you don't have to fight the separation of hide from muscle.
Have any of you heard of such a thing or think it is practical?

Posts: 399 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've heard it done with goats. The problem with deer is that you should be dressing out the deer immediately so unless you have a compresser with you out in the woods , forget it !