THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Not seen for century, Predator makes kills in Two Dot area

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not seen for century, Predator makes kills in Two Dot area
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
Good to see wolves doing well in new territory.

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
The 2005 NEP special rule authorized lethal take because we recognized that the wolf population had exceeded its recovery goals, extra management flexibility was required to address conflicts given the recovered status of the population, most of the suitable wolf habitat in Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming was occupied by resident wolf packs, and wolf translocations were likely to fail because no unoccupied suitable habitat remained (70 FR 1294, January 6, 2005; Bradley, et al. 2005, p. 1506).
http://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie/species/mammals/wol...ision%2002082008.pdf

I think a black wolf on the wall would be great!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
At the end of the article the rancher says she's not comfortable taking money from defenders of wildlife because of who funds them.

Frankly I'd take the money and either donate it to
the opposition or buy a new wolf rifle.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
You have to be politically-correct and make the greenies happy with the wolf situation.

So I recommend using a lead-free bullet to shoot the wolves with... jumping

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9397 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My point was if the greenies are giving away money TAKE IT FROM THEM because even if you BURN IT they don't have it any more.... Comprende?

I'm of the "walk down the hill and screw them ALL" school
of thought, but you should never pass up a chance to kick your competetion in the nuts when the opportunity presents itself.

It's like anyone here has some old POS gun that they'd be overjoyed to sell to the next "gun buy back" program...

I'm not discussing the intelligence or effectiveness of buy back programs, but frankly I consider it a moral imperative to take their money when I have a chance to do so.

It is morally wrong to NOT help a fool seperate themselves from their money, particularly if that fool (or group of them)
is essentially your enemy.

F them all!

AD

Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Too true. They never brag about how many Uzi's and Tac's and Python's they get at those "buy back" photo opts. 'Cause they don't get none. All they do is pay good money for pos's.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Allan DeGroot wrote:
quote:
My point was if the greenies are giving away money TAKE IT FROM THEM because even if you BURN IT they don't have it any more.... Comprende?

Who are you addressing with that tone??? Since mine is the only post sandwiched between yours, of course, it had to be me.

I made no reference to anything you said in your post. Mine was an independent statement laced with sarcasm & ending with a bit of humor. Comprende?

Yes, I'd absolutely take their $$ is a heartbeat - just as from the idiotic gun buybacks that were the rage a few years ago. But again, that subject was not even touched upon in my reply. Comprende???

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9397 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bobby - gotta be careful around pennsylvanians - they're in their own twilight zone over there!

quite different from us folks out west!

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree, take the money, go buy an AR15 and numerous 30 round mags. "My new wolf rifle" Then make a publicity stunt out of it. clap

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
Allan DeGroot wrote:
quote:

Who are you addressing with that tone??? Since mine is the only post sandwiched between yours, of course, it had to be me.

I made no reference to anything you said in your post. Mine was an independent statement laced with sarcasm & ending with a bit of humor. Comprende?

Yes, I'd absolutely take their $$ is a heartbeat - just as from the idiotic gun buybacks that were the rage a few years ago. But again, that subject was not even touched upon in my reply. Comprende???

Then I misunderstood what you were saying, my apology sir.

However you should read your post in context with the posts above it and see how easily your words can be misunderstood. IF someone does what I did and completely misses the second line below the bouncing smilies.

LEad free bullets? To be honest I don't think greenies like lead free bullets any better than leaded ones, the lead free nonsense is just a means to an end that involves their eliminating ALL bullets regardless of composition.

tasunkawitko,

How is that? I thought the unofficial creed of the west was say what you mean, do what you say
and scrape BS off your boots when you step in it.

I'm more western than some westerners, except
don't drawl, I don't smoke, don't chaw, I think horses smell bad AND I manuever around BS so I don't get it on my boots in the first place.

I do drive a pickup truck (the 20th century horse) because I NEED it, not as a fashion statement like most easterners, and I have 4wheel drive not because I wanted it but because I NEEDED it, and my truck didn't leave the factory as a 4x4, I converted it MYSELF
at great effort, not paying someone with my gold card to have it done.

Where are you originally from anyway? the vast twilight zone of california? The Granola state?

What is it exactly about my plan for SCREWING the greenie group that won't work?

Some of you guys have the proper ammount of outrage, but no sense of strategy.

what's far more productive than screwing them is getting them to screw themselves.
Getting them to pay for doing so is a
gift from the god of perversity.

AD

*We Band of 45-70er's*

One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
I would tell Defenders of Wildlife to go screw themselves over their money.

Justification of the wolf reintroduction is an "ethical" one not a "scientific" one. Groups like DOW make my job as a carnivore researcher/manager harder because they present their argument for wolves as a "scientific" one.

When "science" presents evidence that they could be sustainably hunted, they fall back to the "ethical" argument against hunting them. They flip flop more than John Kerry.....

but you all know this... Smiler

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
IdahoVandal wrote:
quote:
They flip flop more than John Kerry.....

I couldn't agree more! thumb

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I came across a wolf here in south western Oregon about 2 weeks ago, on a forest service road going to a Boy Scout camp at about 10:30 at night...

It came off a bank, across the road and then went off of the bank on the other side of the road heading down toward the Illinois River...

I stopped my vehicle and shown a flashlight on it.. it stopped and starred back at me for about 5 minutes.. it didn't move while I had the flashlight on it..

it was easily a 100 lb + animal and was a very dirty whitish color... I have seen another on just like it, about 100 miles North of this spot a couple of years ago while out elk hunting.. it was squabbling with some crows over an Elk gut pile that was a day old...

also saw one about 4 years ago in broad day light to the east side of Crater Lake, while hunting in August.. this one was solid black in the front half of its body and then grayish tan on the latter half.. looked like a cross between a German Shepard and a large coyote, but with a long shaggy tail...this one came out onto a forest road, about 50 yds in front of my truck...

These have definitely made it over this way, from Idaho and Wyoming...

each one was a single animal tho.. not running in a pack... so I question whether these are reproducing...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Ahhh...the end of SSS.

Wish I were there to partake in the fun!

Be tht as it may, I can't wait to see some photos from you guys lucky enough to bag a wolf...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know that the new wolves have hit the elk herds in Idaho very hard indeed, and continue to do so...So much so that the Idaho Fish and Game is trying to place a hunting season on wolves...Wolves litter, elk and deer do not, go figure...

I know some old elk honey holes of mine no longer have any elk in them and that is because of wolves..I know the wolves have migrated as far South as Unit 54 on the Nevada/Utah border and are now feeding on our deer herds, that historically have been the best in Idaho...

I know the wolf thing is a croc of s--t, and those dear souls that live in NY and Kalifornia penthouses have never seen the destructin they can do, and all that crap about the balance of nature is just that, its crap...Hunting as a tool for conservation keeps things in balance in today modern world. Such programs as the wolf infestation is designed to put an end to hunting, guns and our way of life..They just came in the back door again...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snapper:
The 2005 NEP special rule authorized lethal take because we recognized that the wolf population had exceeded its recovery goals, extra management flexibility was required to address conflicts given the recovered status of the population, most of the suitable wolf habitat in Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming was occupied by resident wolf packs, and wolf translocations were likely to fail because no unoccupied suitable habitat remained (70 FR 1294, January 6, 2005; Bradley, et al. 2005, p. 1506).
http://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie/species/mammals/wol...ision%2002082008.pdf

"we got more wolves in more places than we thought," said Ed Bangs..."

How many wolf pelts does it take for a coat? thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
we got more wolves in more places than we thought," said Ed Bangs..."

Yeah and he is damn proud of it! Typical liberal,limp wristed, biologist!

One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
I wish they would relocate some of the wolf packs to the California/Mexico border. The damn illegals are killing us.

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always love how those ignorant of wolf behavior manage to infect people who should know better....

Just because you only SEE one wolf means NOTHING about weather it's poart of a pack, reproducing, etc...

Just because a wolf is a member of a pack doesn't mean it can be MILES away from the other members.

That's the point of another behavior of wolves, howling to gather the pack which can often be spread across a huge area, out of immediate visual contact but not out of audible contact...

The convenient LIE by the wolf lovers is "Oh, you only saw ONE so it WAS NOT part of a pack, so it's NOT reproducing in your area so there is no reason to be alarmed.

bsflag bsflag bsflag bsflag bsflag bsflag

when you see ONLY ONE wolf it only means ONE thing, that you SAW only ONE wolf, it means NOTHING else.... to draw additional conclusions from partial information is conjecture.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
When you see just one it is because the pack kicked him out and he is looking for another pack to join (which will either let him in or kill him as wolves are mostly killed by other wolves.Survival of the fittest kinda thing) or he might get lucky and find a female and start his own pack. Seems unlikely to start his own pack but how did they spread so fast with only Alpha pairs breeding?

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know some old elk honey holes of mine no longer have any elk in them and that is because of wolves..

I know what you are talking about, some of my old haunts are just that now Haunts.Only whenthe fish and game started to lose revenue on out of state tags did they realize they had opened Pandoras Box....

I saw 1 in 1990 in the Idaho panhandle hot on the heals of a Mulie doe.I notfied the Fish and Game about it and they all but called me a liar at the time.

Looking back on it I do not believe all the people I had talked to within the state new they were actually introduced at the time.

My original call was handled very poorly on the states part,The warden I spoke with in Boise
basically said I was full of shit.
My response was ... Well ifI bring in a 140 pound Coyote I would be within the law?

His comment was... Wolves are protected in the state of Idaho and there are none within the state at this time so dont shoot if you see a 140 pound coyote...

Knowing what I now know I would have pulled the trigger...
And never looked back or spoke of it.

There is a reason the old timers killed them off.
They liked to eat Elk and not watch wolves chase and decimate thier food supply.

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3074 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Over here, in the Eastern areas wolves are very slowly coming back. Of course, this has some impact on other animals, roe deer are getting scare, mufflon apparebtly disapperaed and red deer changes it's behaviour. The antis of course are against any kind of management. If I listen to my friends in Spain they seem to have a nice magagement system for wolf up and working, if they sell the quota that even pays big money.

I still remember how impressed I was by finding panther tracks while hunting in Florida's Big Cypress. I was not used to that a hunter can potentially be comne the hunted.

Since the antis are no longer a fashion, politics is generally positiv towards our sport and the public seems to understand that animals have to be managed, I am looking very much forward to legal wolf hunting in Germany in a couple of years.

Illegally, it is done anyway.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3 of them hit the ground in wyo. last weekend.2 in the predator area and a rancher shot 1 in defense of his cows!!!!!!
its a start

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote