New
Find
Notify
Tools

mail box buck
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just got back from my mail box still shaking,I was on my 4-wheeler and normaly my 25-35 is in the gun rack,today as I approached the box I saw a whitetail doe flash in front of me no big deal but then I look to my left and here is the biggest live whitetail buck I have ever seen, 6pointer and really wide, barreling straight toward me.He gets to about 30 yds and stops dead still in front of me an just stares at me and all I can do is stare back,I turned the 4-wheeler around and he crossed the road in the direction the doe went.I could scream!!!!

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Yea, sounds like my hunt on Tuesday in KY. I was hanging my Buckeye Scent bombs in 3 different trees about 3 ft off the ground. For whatever reason, I decided to put my bow on the ground by the second one. Walked 8 yards away to hang my 3rd one. Low and behold, I hear a deer walking towards me from the woods. (I'm in a field at the edge of the woods). Needless to say, it's a shooter 8 pt. I still made it to my bow by crawling but had I not laid it down, I'd a had a shot at him at about 30 yards! He was behind some cedars and I would have been able to move without being noticed. He eventually spotted me and walked off.

When the hell are we gonna learn??!!!

It is the rut for crying out loud. Our rifle or bow or whatever should be an extension of our upper extremity from the time we get dressed til we go to bed!! (sorry, I'm embelishing a bit).

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just as well. Whacking a deer on a trip to the mail box is hardly hunting. And now that you know there is a big boy in the area, it's time to see if you are good enough to figure him out and kill him. THAT is hunting.

Brent

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
The last elk a very good friend of mine killed before finally dying from cancer had a similair tale to it. He was in some fairly heavy timber in northwestern Montana when the urge to go hit him. He was leaning up against a tree doing the chore when he heard something walking out in the brush in front of him. Shortly he saw a glint from an ivory tipped antler, so he reached for his trusty 338-06. Pretty soon a five point bull stepped out in the open and one 210 grain Nosler partition, while Jim was still squating against the tree, sent him to the big dark timber in the sky. He never knew what hit him and Jim finished his chores before getting up and walking over to him. I helped him get the elk out and saw the tree and evidence from his chores, so believe it to be a true story. It was perhaps the most enjoyable elk I ever helped pack out. A bit over one year later, just before Christmas, we talked about this incident, and how funny it was. Less than a week later he passed away.

He always said he was a good shot in the "squat" position in the military so maybe that training helped him out.

Whatever, it was a huge lift to him as he was wearing a chemotherapy pump at the time he killed that last bull. I remember him worrying that he was going to get into trouble for getting some blood on it, and they might not let him wear one if he went hunting again. My Wife worked at the clinic where he went and she tried to give him a bad time about having to clean up that pump, but secretly she was thrilled he was trying to lead as normal of a life as he could while staring death in the face. I actually think he half hoped he would die on the side of some mountain while hunting, but evidently it wasn't his time yet.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote