Find
Notify
Tools

NC gets Gator Season
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted
For the first time the Tarheel state will be getting an alligator season. It is about time and many of us lobbied hard with the Wildlife Commission. First year is going to be very good. I see 10 to 13 foot gators quite regularly. Problem is going to be getting through our quick sand type coastal mud to get to them. If I decide to run charters, I will have to purchase an air boat.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting...
Yes, the first season or two should be superb for those like yourself that know where some old dinosaurs are. I never gave thought to gators in NC abut hunted them in Florida for years.

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Make sure you post up if you offer charters! I'd jump on one if reasonable

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let's go shoot one. Mama needs a new pair of boots.

Posts: 1280 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
Working on all of the details now. The first year is going to be extremely good hunting. Most likely I am going to run charters and this gives me an excuse to purchase an airboat.

Captain Clark Purvis

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I truly didn't know there were gators in North Carolina. I haven't been there much in the last 20 years, though. I have seen them in Georgia.

How far north are they in North Carolina? Are they all over, in ponds and golf courses? Or, only in the rivers near the coast?

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have been thinking of gator hunting for a
few years now in probably FL or LA, but NC
sounds interesting. When is the season and how
long? Where are you located in NC, the cost,
the method of hunting, rifle or harpoon or
bang stick, etc.

One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
There have always been a good amount of gators in the Eastern part of the state. They are seen as far North as Merchants Mill Pond and have been seen on the Virginia border of the Great Dismal Swamp. One of our major rivers is the Alligator River. The Croatan National Forrest is full of them. Common to see dead ones on highway 70. There are a good amount on ponds and catfish farms throughout Eastern NC. There was one illegally killed on deep creek just by my lodge two years ago. At my brothers place we can not even let the dogs swim in the creek because there are so many gators. I am not sure what the hunting methods will be allowed by NCWRC. We are trying to keep it in the hands of the Wildlife commission and not NC Marine Fisheries. If Marine Fisheries gets involve there could be a commercial season to sell meats and skin. That will not be good for the population. Every commercial fisherman in the South comes to NC to commercial fish due to our liberal commercial fishing laws. We are the only state that still allows shrimp trawlers and nets for game fishing in our inland rivers and sounds. You would not believe the number of pound nets here. If the Wildlife Commission manages gators they will not be able to be commercially harvested to sale meat and skin because it is illegal to sell wild game in N.C.

Captain Clark Purvis

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Good luck in your endeavor, Clark. A gator hunt sounds like a wonderful tonic.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I am still interested. Please keep posts coming
as new info. becomes available, if you do decide
to do any hunts. If not, let us know too.
Thanks.