New
Find
Notify
Tools

free ranging exotics in new mexico??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i seen a blurb in a hunting publication that new mexico has free range exotics on public land.is this B.S. or are they telling the truth?

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I think they must be referring to the "wild" populations of Aoudad(sp) in the northeastern and southern part of the state. Last I heard they were trying to eliminate them as an exotic. Ornyx (sp again) on White Sands Missle Range. White Sands may be gov't property, but access is, or used to be highly restricted. Not the same as the national park by the same name.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4243 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
There are Oryx (Gemsbok), Aoudad and I believe a species of Ibex roaming there. I am sure someone from NM will set us straight.

~Ann

Posts: 19240 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Oryx are located primarily on White Sands Missile Range, though there are populations established off-range on both public and private land. With the exception of private landowner tags, all licenses are awarded through a lottery. On-range "trophy" hunts are once-in-a-lifeime, while on and off-range population reduction hunts are not.

There is an established population of ibex (Persian I think) in the Florida Mountains of southern NM. The few tags that are available are allocated through the draw. Rifle hunts (five tags per year) are once-in-a-lifetime; bow and muzzleloader are not. There are supposed to be isolated pockets of ibex outside the Floridas. Licenses for these are available over the counter and there is no bag limit. They are not once-in-a-lifetime hunts.

There are several pockets of Barbary sheep scattered around the state. Licenses are available over the counter. Season runs year round I believe.

All of these species are free-range to my knowledge. I'm not aware of any fenced hunting operations in NM that have these animals.

Details on all of these hunts can be found in the NM Big Game Rules.

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

Very true, the Ibex is from Persia/Iran. I think HIH Abdorreza was involved in the program.

I think NM seems like a great state thumb

Cheers
/ JOHAN