New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zeiss 10x-40's
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I could post this in optics but very few would see it (no pun intended )
I am considering the Zeiss Classic 10X40's and was wondering if anyone used them for hunting and found them to be noticeably less convenient or cumbersome as opposed to a pair of 8x30 glasses?

Posts: 1524 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In June I left my 8x30's in Africa with my PH. On my latest hunting trips, 2 black bear over bait I used my Swarovski 7x42's. Even though hunting bear over bait does not involve a lot of walking I find the 7x42's just too BIG and HEAVY for me. Normally I would wear my 8x30's all the time. This weekend while at the deer lease I did not even take the 7x42's out of their case. When I wear them I feel like a St Bernard with a keg of beer around my neck.
I cannot wait to replace my 8x30's. They are the perfect pair of binos. They are also very easy to use with one hand while stalking [the rifle is in the other hand].
Also I have found 10x is just too much for all round use.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Very nice glass...I like the Leica 8x42 better FOR ME,
but I could live with the zeiss 10x40.
My .02

Jeff

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I reloaded and shot a new 7mm Ultra Mag for a buddy last year and got him a .5 group. My reward was a pair of Ziess 10X40's at cost from a mail order house he represents. I used them last year in Colorado and would not ever get rid of them, they are the clearest I have looked through, bar none. I already had an old pair of older model Ziess 7X35's but they were not rubber coated, therefore I babied them, these I don't worry about in any kind of weather. enjoy them and good shooting.

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used my 10x40 Classics for many years. They are in my opinion the best solution for overall binoculars. They are not to large for the magnification. Field of view is right. Optics are clear. They are not to heavy and they fit my hands well so I can comfortably glass for long periods of time.
Leica's are very nice and crystal clear, but they weigh more, cost more and are not as nice to hold. Better for some applications, but overall I would get the Zeiss Classic.
I have not had a chance to use the Victory II. Maybe they will be better, but the Victory certainly are not.

Posts: 165 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I have used mine for several years in N Am and Africa(last year) and they are good binos. My PH had the same pair. That said, I opt for the 8X20's when stalking. A friend had a pair of Nikons a couple of years ago in elk camp and we compared them to the Zeiss looking at elk 1000yds across the canyon. Everyone liked the Nikons better for clarity but I can't vouch for their durability.
Russ

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I have used my 10x40 Classics for many years. They are in my opinion the best solution for overall binoculars. They are not to large for the magnification. Field of view is right. Optics are clear. They are not to heavy and they fit my hands well so I can comfortably glass for long periods of time.
Leica's are very nice and crystal clear, but they weigh more, cost more and are not as nice to hold. Better for some applications, but overall I would get the Zeiss Classic.
I have not had a chance to use the Victory II. Maybe they will be better, but the Victory certainly are not.

Quiethunter pretty well hit the nail on the head. While I don't currently own a pair (should be kicked right square in the arse for selling my last pair), the Zeiss 10x40 ClassiC's are just about the perfect combination of weight, quality and clarity for the price.

Posts: 1927 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree that the Classics I have looked at are great. The Victory's are also great, and are also very light. Lighter than the Leica's and the Classics.

I've also seen the Victorys (not Victory II's) on closeout for under $600 as the new Victory FL's have come out. Some folks don't like the original Victory's for the position of the neck strap hooks, but I'm amazed at that deal.

That said, I bought the Victory mid-line Conquest 8x30's two weeks before I saw the closeout on the Victorys.

Steve

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote