New
Find
Notify
Tools

Last Deer of the Season pic
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I went out his morning after I got off duty and decided to go try and fill an un-used tag. Went out to my bud's farm and just started walking. I got to the edge of the property and was actually hoping to see a coyote for some reason and all of the sudden out of the corner of my eye I saw a fat doe running on the next ridge over. I started to make my way back up the ridge I was on and saw she was running to 3 other doe's. I waited with my scope on them through the branches of some oak trees. I guess I could have shot then, But I was unsure how my 7mm Mag would perform in brush. The way the crow flies they were only about 50 yards away. I waited a few seconds and one of the deer started to get real flighty and then my doe stuck her neck up and Band and Flop. 150 gr Power Point to the neck and she was done. Now it gets interesting. I made my way over to her and she let out her last bit of air when I reached her. Then I saw blood. But it was not her's. It was about ten feet away in the direction where 2 of the deer ran off. Oh $hit. It was not just a little blood, there was alot. Not knowing if The other deer was vitaly hit or gut shot I walked back to my bud's house to get him to come help me drag. When I told him he said BS. I said no, I really did hit two deer. He said I only heard one shot. Then I explained to him that one of the deer must have moved behind her when I tookthe shot. So, I threw my gun in the back of the truck and we drove as close as we could get. Which was about 500 yds away. We got out and walked over to the my deer and found the blood and began to follow it. I am not kidding you one bit. We trailed HUGE blood spots for about 150 yards. Then I say her Bedded down up against a fence, Alive. I grabed steve(bud) and said get down. He did and about that time I realized My gun was in the truck. Damnit. No, Double damnit. Not only did I wound a deer un-intentioaly, my dumbass left the gun in the truck. And 99.99% of the time I have a pistol on my belt. Of course today Murphy told me to leave it at home and to leave my rifle in the truck. As we started to back out she went crazy, jumping inplace slam,img her body into the fence , just falling all over the place. I could not believe she was still kicking after losing all that blood. Well, she finnaly made it over the fence and down a hill into some nasty mid-west Mulit-flora rose. I started to make my way back to the truck. I made it about ten yards and I heard 2 very close by Rifle shots. They must have been On the next ridge. I almost crapped because the shots were so close. I dont know , But I really hope that they got her. I was not about to go down on that property and try to find her. Not worth getting shot at. Steve is going to look into who was shooting so close to his brothers property. Off hand he did not know who was hunting or even who owned the land that borders his brothers land. I re-learned a couple very valuable leasons today.

• Never leave your gun in the truck
  • Never leave your pistol at home becuse you think you wont need it.

Posts: 412 | Location: Iowa, for now | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not pickin on ya too much, but how about

#3 Never shoot if you're not positive what's down range.

Sorry, had to say it. I mean after all, there was SOMEBODY else within gun range too.

Just ribbin ya a little, I guess most of us have had a similar situation at some point in our hunting careers.

./l ,[___],
l--L=OlllllO=
O_) O_)~-)_)
If at first you don't succeed,,,failure may be your thing!!!

Posts: 198 | Location: Yuma, Arizona | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OH yeah, rotflmo

Clean up your garage. jumping jumping

Jst in good fun 223

./l ,[___],
l--L=OlllllO=
O_) O_)~-)_)

Posts: 198 | Location: Yuma, Arizona | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Doss:
Not pickin on ya too much, but how about

#3 Never shoot if you're not positive what's down range.

Sorry, had to say it. I mean after all, there was SOMEBODY else within gun range too.

Just ribbin ya a little, I guess most of us have had a similar situation at some point in our hunting careers.

Yes there was some one else in range. But neither of us knew. I had a safe back drop and knew it. I shot into a hill. It is the other guy I was worried about. For all I care the way things have been going in the MidWest with deer hunting, all the land around the property I hunt could be public if your wallet is big enough. To many richies coming to these farmers and paying them off to hunt. We had never heard any body hunting over there before. I am a safe and ethical hunter. The only reason I posted this story was for every one to see how interesting my day was-

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is spooky. The area i hunt tends to have way too many people as well. I hunt private ground, but tresspassers are rampant. Where are you located in Iowa? I am in muscatine county, but we hunted the rifle season in Des Moines county yesterday. I shot a medium size doe early on, and my partner shot a fairly big one in the afternoon.

DGK

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peace,,, Wink Just havin' some fun.

./l ,[___],
l--L=OlllllO=
O_) O_)~-)_)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason,

I may have been a little bit grouchy this morning when I replied, sorry about that. Yeah your right my garage gets very neglected in the winter months. I need to clean that garage out bad. I am gonna clean it in a couple weeks. At any rate sorry for being a little brash-cheers

cheers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am in Lee County. I am stationed in Keokuk, live in Ft. Madison and Hunting around Donnelson.

cheers

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your deer.

A friend of mine was hunting on private property he thought he was the only one hunting on it (yea right). He shot a nice doe that ran for about 50 yards and another hunter shot it in the hind quarters with a 270. It blew up all of the good steak meat. When my friend walked up to them to find out what happened informed them that he had already shot the deer they asked him if he wanted it. He told them "NO" seeing that they had blown it to hell. He then asked them if they had permission to hunt the property. They said yes and since they both had rifles his common sense told him not to press the matter. I haven’t had anyone claim a deer that I shot but all of my hunting buddies have agreed on who ever draws first blood that it would be his/hers deer regardless of who fired the last shot.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, that chore list sure does get big during hunting season. Roll Eyes

./l ,[___],
l--L=OlllllO=
O_) O_)~-)_)

one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]

Yes there was some one else in range. But neither of us knew. I had a safe back drop and knew it. QUOTE]

Never heard anyone call another deer a safe backdrop. I would say you didn't know it, otherwise, two deer wouldn't have been whacked.

MG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Madgoat:
[QUOTE]

Yes there was some one else in range. But neither of us knew. I had a safe back drop and knew it QUOTE]

Never heard anyone call another deer a safe backdrop. I would say you didn't know it, otherwise, two deer wouldn't have been whacked.

MG

Find some where else to be critiacal of some one who is sharing how Murphy can be sometimes. I do not mind a fellow jabbing a little but the way I see it, You were not on the trigger and I am sure nothing like this has ever happened to you before. Grab post's some where else.
shame

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it happens more than one would admit.....Watch what our gracious host has done. Like I said these things happen. Granted, I did not have a trophy fee on the line, But These things happen. AT least he is not ashamed of showing it. Nor am I.

Saeed kills 2

one of us
posted Hide Post
The way I see it, Murphy had nothing to do with it. And no, I have never had anything like this happen. I make darn sure of what is behind what I am shooting at before taking the shot. If there is any question, I let things walk. I know a lot of other folks who hunt this way, and none of them have ever shot two things by accident either.

Trophy fee or not, a lot of things could have been done differently.

MG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Each to their own.