New
Find
Notify
Tools

muzzle loader safety question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have seen people use these little capper devices to put caps on the nipples of their muzzle loaders. I always pushed them on with my finger. It occurred to me that these cappers might be as much a safety thing as a labor saver.

I recall early in life trying to scrape the priming compound out of an unfired 22 rimfire case. Of course the pin I was using set off the priming compound on the first or second scrape. I wasn't injured, but I didn't try that one again. I did scare the crap out of the next door neighbor kids by standing a pulled unfired 22 LR case on the coils of the electric stove, turning on the stove, and casually talking to them about some nonsense until BANG!

But I digress. I am curious whether the act of pushing those little #11 caps (or the big musket caps) over a nipple can set off the caps. I am guessing this would be a really bad thing, because a jet of burning Pyrodex under the fingernails has got to hurt. Am I doing something stupid?

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At a conservative estimate, I would say I have fired at least 20,000 rounds from muzzleloaders over the years, both flint and percussion. I have never had, nor seen an accidental ignition of a percussion cap.
I've known Tedd Cash for nearly thirty years, who makes the cappers of which you speak. They are one of the handy gadgets for muzzleloading that are actually worthwhile, and work well. Very few of the other gadgets are worth having.
You will like using the cappers once you become accustomed to them. You will not set off a cap pushing it on.
What the hell is Pyrodex?? Don't you know that is MUCH more corrosive, and inconsistant, than BP?

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 8MM OR MORE
posted Hide Post
Those stories bring recollections to mind that I won't go into. On the subject of AD from pushing on a cap, I have never experienced this, nor have I seen it happen to shooting friends of mine. Having said that, I still don't get real aggressive putting on the cap, because Murphy seems to be alive and well. A device that allows more control, a capper, might actually help preclude an AD. Since I have never had that happen, AD from pushing on the cap, that is just conjecture on my part about being safer. For me, the cap goes on only at the last second prior to shooting. BTW, I think every shooter has played with 22 cases after pulling the bullet. Must be some kind of "right of passage" thing.

Posts: 1944 | Location: Moses Lake, WA | Registered: 06 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by waksupi:

What the hell is Pyrodex?? Don't you know that is MUCH more corrosive, and inconsistant, than BP?

Waksupi,

"jet of burning Pyrodex" just had more rhythm to it than any phrase I could make containing "black powder".

H. C.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Henry; I have never heard of anyone having an AD either,from just capping. A friend of mine
did have a powder charge go up almost in his face when he didn't purge the chamber after firing the previous round. He won't do that again. The in-line cappers are a neat and handy little tool and make reloading a whole lot easier. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, maybe I'll try one of those cappers. I don't see what's so hard about pushing a soft copper cup over a nipple. But I haven't heard anyone say these tools aren't useful. I remember sticking with a typewriter far too long because I couldn't see the point of using a Mac and a laser printer.

BTW, I figured out why "jet of burning Pyrodex" is euphonic. Alternating accented syllables. In another thread, I said I'd probably never write a book, but I haven't completely given up on the idea.

H. C.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you get a capper, get the Tedd Cash type. The inline ones seem prone to loosing caps.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Henry you really don't know how handy there are untill its 15 below 0 and your trying to reload a second shot, the fingers just don't work that well [Wink]

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Off the subject kinda but I have a Ted Cash little trinket box thats fits in your pocket. I've probably had it 25 years now. Prized possession! One of the very few things I escaped my first marriage with. At least I can truthfully say "She got the house, but I got the Cash."

Posts: 199 | Location: Harnett County NC | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote