New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buffalo meat hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone know of a good outfit that offers a meat hunt. I've seen where some places offer this as a shoot or maybe a fence hunt. I know it doesent sound too sporting but if they are going to process the animal anyway, it sounds like a reasonable way to fill a freezer. I'd love to horse back hunt for a few days but I have not found an operation that offers this or a trophy hunt that I would care to do or spend the money on.
I just read what I wrote. Not trying to offend anyone on how they get their buffalo, just saying I don't think there is anything close to a free range hunt left for these animals, outside of sneaking into Yellowstone or maybe in B.C.
I found one outfit, not in Montana, that offers something like this. On there site they offer a corral shoot or they will let you get one in a pasture. Again, I'm just looking for some reasonably priced meat.
Thanks

One of Us
Picture of 460 wby shooter
posted Hide Post
Get a hold of Ryan or Randy Routier at Routier Outfitting, great guys and very professional.

Posts: 817 | Location: jimtown ND | Registered: 21 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All of the Bison operations near us are getting around $3000 for their "meat" buff. Usually around 1000 pounders. We shot some 2 years ago and I was surprised how little meat there is on a 1000 lb buffalo.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With a thousand pound buff you will be doing good to get 350-400 lbs of meat.

even on beef cattle the cut out is 40-45 %

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If Northwest South Dakota on a large private ranch that is not high fenced with a herd of about 500 animals would be the option feel free to give me a shout. Maybe we can work something out.

Posts: 520 | Location: North West South Dakota | Registered: 26 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Twin Pines Ranch in WY. They have a web site. My family used to do a yearling heifer hunt every other year and they were good to deal with and had reasonable prices. The name of the gal to talk to is Peggy Gerk.

Posts: 1351 | Location: CO born, but in Athens, TX now. | Registered: 03 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
randy has quite a herd of buff and they run all over the place free range as they get today. you'd hunt with some of the best people there are in great country on the edge of the black hills. but if you want a pasture shoot there is always the triple u buffalo ranch in west pierre

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info folks, I'll check all these places out.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Lee Hawes in Kansas; you ride horses out to find the herd and he only allows black powder cartridge rifles. It does have a fence but it is big. Sleep in teepees or dugouts like they had in the actual buff harvest.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote