New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mulie tactics
 Login/Join

<waldog>
posted
Went scouting this weekend for my 2002 mule deer bowhunt. And I found several promising candidates who may get the honor of wearing my tag this September. [Wink] [Big Grin] [Wink] Anyhow, I'm up against the semi-arid, mountainous, desert-like country of extreem N.W. Colorado.

So, here's my quandry: come September, bucks large and small will mostly be found in small bachelor groups of 3-8. That makes for up to eight noses plus sixteen eyes and sixteen ears to beat in order to make one good shot (at less than 30yds) at one particular (and large) buck. Oh, and did I mention the cover is almost nil?

So what I'm looking for is to brainstorm some clever-- even unorthodox-- tatics to close the gap, take the shot, and make the kill under these circumstances.

What's your suggestion?

[ 08-05-2002, 08:27: Message edited by: waldog ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
As dry as it is here in Colo. I'd probably look for the nearest waterhole and put out a ground blind. Put it out a few weeks before the season and they will get used to it.

Where in N.W. Colo are you hunting? I hit the late elk season in area 2 last season and tagged a big cow. Saw lots of big bucks and there was a monster hanging around a permanent stock tank. No deer tags available during the late season though. If you are in area 2, let me know and I'll give you directions to the stock tank. It's on public land and I talked to the rancher that maintains it and he told me the deer and elk pretty much stay around it year round.

Good luck.

Mac [Razz]

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Be up early and high. Glass, glass and glass. Watch where the big boys bed. Then make a stalk from up above when the mid day thermals start. If you are a good stalker you can sneak right above those bucks within bow range. Tip: On the final approach(last 200yds)chuck off your boots and slip on an extra pair of thick socks. This will allow you to approach quietly. When you are within bow range, come to full draw and whistle softly. When the buck(s) rise, take your pick and let an arrow rip! Things that can go wrong: Thermals shift, other hunters, noisey conditions and one million other things. Good luck! MtnHtr

Posts: 254 | Location: USA | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not a bow hunter. I have done some, however. I do know something about deserts, and deer.
I'd find, by glassing, a lone buck. After they clean their antlers, many of them should be on their own.
I'd get into position well before dawn. I like to hike by starlight, and, hopefully, some moonlight. I refuse to use a light.
I stay in the shadows. And I always hunt with the sun behind me, or as close to it as I can.
If I catch one in his bed, I like to wait for him to rise. Whatever I do, I don't want to alert him. He may step into cover as he rises.
Get yourself a pair of leather gloves, and get down on all fours, or crawl. You'd be shocked as to how close you can get to deer and Pronghorn this way. Yes, it isn't fun. But if you move slow and easy, you will be much less likely to be noticed. I've crawled to within 40 yds. of a buck, across an open field of 2 ft. grass this way. E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
<BIG GAME RS>
posted
I have been there and hunted the rimrocks,you can
get very close if you go slower than a snail &
keep the wind in your faver.

one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
Unlike Eremicus, I have never had much luck sneaking up on them without cover, and the big ones usually don't like to water during the day. I like to use the buddy system, which I have used with some success. After spotting the buck, one guy positions themself above the buck on a likely escape route while the second one zig zags towards the buck (it is important for him to act disinterested so the buck will become more curious than scared). As soon as the buck stands up, the zig zagger sits down as to not get the buck too nervous (won't happen after gun season starts). With a good bit of luck, the deer will walk past the first hunter, and if the second hunter will whistle at the right time, the buck will stop presenting hunter #1 with the perfect shot. If not, the buck shouldn't be so rattled that it leaves the area for long.
In honesty, my success rate using this approach is low, usually because the buck doesn't take the right escape route. But when it works, it adds a extra bit of excitement knowing you out smarted the buck.