Find
Notify
Tools

Let's do some bargin shopping....
 Login/Join

<waldog>
posted
Okay guys,

I started buying Burris about six years ago, and now every piece of shooting glass I own is Burris. Yes, the overall quality and the "Forever Warranty" attracted me from the start; BUT, since I live a stone's throw away from the factory, I figured if I ever had a problem I could complain in person!!!

I've never had to complain. Heck, I don't even have a half-hearted whine!

That said, I've only had trouble with the extreme low end scopes. A particular $69 Bushnell stands out in my mind. But even that scope as squirrely as it was, never cost me an animal or ruined a hunt. But it required a lot of checking,rechecking, double checking, and pure luck!

Now to completely avoid the direction that all optics posts inevitably arrive at: Buy the best ie. Swarovski, Zeiss, Burris, Leopold, etc. etc..... Let's change the question:

If you had a strict budget of only $200 to spend on a scope for your favorite Big Game rifle, where would you put your money?

------------------
>>>--------------------->
Toxophilie and carry a bent stick.
<---------------------<<<

<ultramag>
posted
Simmons Aetec in either 2.8x10 or 3.8x12.

------------------
May your chambers be true to your bores.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I would limit myself to a 3X9 variable, then chose a brand. 9X is plenty enough magnification for a big game rifle and most makers have worked out the bugs for this design. I'd also stay with a 40 mm objective lens max. Almost embarassed to come out of the closet with the group here, but I've had a ton of bushnell, simmons, and tasco scopes and have only had one problem so far. Well except for the time we blew up a ruger and a piece of some metal went into the scope tube...

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
QUESTION : "If you had a strict budget of only $200 to spend on a scope for your favorite Big Game rifle, where would you put your money?"

A: In the bank until I could afford a good scope.

Don't be cheap. Spend the additional $50 and get a Leupold VariX II.

You will never look back and said "I wish I would have....".

------------------
Wendell Reich
Hunter's Quest International

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The new Leupold VX-I, at $179 (or less) would be hard to beat in the under-$200 category. In terms of real dollars, we were paying between $300 and $400 for a less advanced version of the same scope back in the 60's, so today's price has to look like a bargain.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
I would buy a used Lyman All American 4X as first choice and keep the balance. Second choice would be a used Leupold.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guess I'm lucky- living in Leupold country, in fact I live just 5 miles from the factory/headquarters. Leupold 3x9 Vari X II's have been in the $179-189 price range around here for years, so mostof my rifles wear them. That is where I will continue to put my money. - Sheisterr

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<T/Jazz>
posted
Sheiter I hitching a ride on your bus, I think those Leupold vari X-II's are the best thing that happened for the hunter with a low end budget to meet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I buy used Leupolds and I'm patient.
In the last 6 years I have purchased the following.

VX II 2X7 used but looked like new, via the Gunslist for $175
VX III 1.5X 5 "ring marks" for $200 cash at the end of a slow gun show.
VX III 2.5X8 rings Marks and small scratches in the metal" for $200 cash- another slow gun show.

Never had any problems with them. Did send the 2.5X8 back to Leupold for a check up before an expensive hunt. Only cost me shipping out there and they returned in 8 days completely reworked.

If I need a scope in a hurry. It is going to be a Leupold VX I. Otherwise I will continue to pick used ones at bargin prices.

I used Japanese Tasco's before I could afford more. Never had a problem with then. Bought a used rifle with a newer Tasco that was broken - I just put it in the trash. Have also owned two cheap bushnell's that both broke.

Posts: 449 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Gary Rihn>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by trigger:
VX III 2.5X8 rings Marks and small scratches in the metal" for $200 cash- another slow gun show.

Gotcha beat. I picked up a used (slight ring marks, otherwise great) 2.5-8X at a pawn shop a few years back for $100. I've never even come close to matching that deal again.

As for my recommendation on a $200 scope, I'm with the guys that say look for a used Leupold. Shouldn't be hard at all to find a nice 2-7X, 3-9X, straight 4X or 6X, AND keep a few bucks in your pocket.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If my budjet was that strict and $200 hun. is all I had for a scope, then I would go with open sights. Peep site.
If I could be so lucky to find a used leupold for $200, then I would go with that.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
<thomas purdom>
posted
I've had Leupold in the past, they are good scopes, but now all I buy are Burris scopes thank you. I too, like the forever warranty and it is transferable if you sell it too. Tom Purdom