THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Saw An Interesting Buck Taken In Texas.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Saw An Interesting Buck Taken In Texas.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It's antlers appeared to be unbalanced.
Looking closer, I saw that the antler on one side had the top half broken off and the remaining part resembled the opposite complete antler.
Was wondering how this would be evaluated if it was measured for minimum spread compliance.
I don't believe anyone did a measurement, but was curious about this type thing.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No picture? How are we supposed to judge?

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5962 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't usually take pictures of other hunters animals, and this was just an after thought.
Am guessing that a measurement from mid-skull to outside of the one full antler then doubled would give a close indication of full spread if both antlers were complete..

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would imagine they would measure what's there and have you sign the ticket.

Posts: 4988 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would imagine they would measure what's there and have you sign the ticket.

All depends on what county it was shot in.

I live and work in a 4 county area in north central Texas, Archer, Baylor, Throckmorton and Young.

Archer and Young join each other on one side, Throckmorton and Young join each other on one side, Archer and Baylor join each other on one side and Baylor and Throckmorton join each other on one side.

The 4 counties are each square in shape and the 4 counties combined make one large square with all 4 counties meeting at a common corner.

In Archer and Young there is a 13 inch inside main beam antler restriction, with a one buck 13 inches or greater limit, but a hunter can take a second buck as long as it is a spike on one side.

Baylor and Throckmorton have a 2 buck limit, with No Antler Restrictions. I know of properties in all 4 counties that straddle the county line so depending which gate the hunter goes out of, the hunter can shoot any buck he wants with no problems or if the hunter ain't in to shooting for antlers they can shoot up to 5 does in any of those counties as long as they do not exceed the State Wide limit of 5 whitetails.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There would be no point in measurements..Such and animal will not qualify...Horns break off like that from falls, from birth, genetics.

More common is it a deer is wounded in the knee area for instance the leg will heal poorly as a rule, but the growth of the opposite horn will be freaked or whatever as all the minerals and vitamens went to the healing of the wound and the off side horn didn't receive normal amounts.Seen that many times.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41985 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Antler Restrictions in Texas and they are NOT in effect in all counties is limited to a 13 inch minimum Inside Spread between the Main Beams on a Branch Antelerd Buck!!!!

Has nothing to do with B&C measuring, if the main beams are 13 inches apart or greater in some counties that is what is required to be legal.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I understand that, but there are exception and a big buck with a shot off antler has no spread, but they sure won't prosecute you for it..Maybe you need to go back to law school! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41985 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How can they prove what was or wasn't there?

I never went to Law School, but the regulations are pretty cut and dried.

If it is a fork horn/four pointer and in the counties with the antler restrictions, if the main beams are 13 inches apart or greater it is legal.

If one side has 12 points and the other side has a 5 or 6 inch broken off nub they are not going to worry about what might have been on the broken off side, they are going to go with the actual physical evidence!

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Inside spread........

An old ridiculous measurement for anything practical.

It is literaly a number that represents what is not there.....air

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote