New
Find
Notify
Tools

prone shooting technique
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I got my rebarreled rifle back about 2 weeks ago. It is a sporter weight (9.5# with scope) 300 Win Mag with sporter stock for big game hunting on foot. It has a 26" stainless Lothar Walther barrel 1:10 twist. By the way that barrel is the easyist cleaning rifle I have ever had except for a couple 243 Winchesters that I shoot moly bullets out of. I am shooting uncoated bullets in the 300 Win Mag. I shot a 12 shot group at 400 yards that measured 5.2" (10 were in 2.75"). Then I tried that load prone with bipod and sling like I would be shooting at game in the field. I shot a 9 shot group of 7.4" at 500 yards with 6 of those in 3.4". I am wondering how to shoot better prone. I realize that a 9 shot group of 7.4" at 500 yards is mighty good and am quite pleased. However I would like to do better. The gun with this load is capable of apparently sub 0.7 MOA but my prone groups are twice that size. Any tips? Thanks, Rufous.

Posts: 224 | Location: Walla Walla, WA 99362 | Registered: 05 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Bill>
posted
Lose the bipod and shoot off a different rest, I like a small backpack, I keep a gortex jacket rolled on the back and shoot off that.

------------------
www.rifleshooter.com

Save a plant, shoot a deer!

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited 01-17-2002).]

<Gary Rihn>
posted
Bill gave good advice, especially if the bipod is on a hard surface.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Be sure not to lay on your diaphram. You might try pulling your right knee up a bit to help with this. Pay attention to your breathing pattern. Get slow & rhythmic with it. Tune out the world & focus (mentally) on that target.

------------------
NRA Life member

[This message has been edited by Bear Claw (edited 01-17-2002).]

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Rufous

Benchrest shooters frequently use a free-recoil technique which can be approximated by shooting prone off a fanny pack. My predilictions are towards shooting from ambush, and this technique works well for me. I am planning to use a sling more often from sitting or kneeling but do not expect the accuracy that I get from prone off a fanny pack.

Tom

Posts: 14375 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you are doing all the basic things needed to hit at long range. Since you are getting the groups you are.How about your trigger what is the weight of pull on it.Lock time is very important too. You can decrease this by replacing your firing pin with a lighter one.Good luck.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote