THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: How many have actually scoped Deer and Elk@5-600?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: How many have actually scoped Deer and Elk@5-600?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Yep.
Ranged, adjusted, setup, settled in, scoped, squeeeeezed. Bang-flop-dead.

What amazes me is how small a 3" target is at 300 yards on 20x compared to a 10" target at 500 yards on 10x. The difference really is the 10" target - not the scope. With a good, solid shooting platform it does not seem unrealistic. Of course, those who try it without having practiced it...

Posts: 165 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ass Clown

Just remember that the Ballistic Tip as fired at about 12,000' ASL, temp about 40 degrees, from a 300 Win Mag (~3,150 fps). It was still going about 2,000 fps when it hit the elk.

Posts: 226 | Location: Dorchester County, South Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LAWCOP,

Thank you for the reply. I believe that we are much more in agreement than disagreement, with regard to hunting skills/ethics.

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"A lot of talk on 5-600 yard shots on Deer and Elk.How many have actually scoped them at that distance with there Rifle scopes."

I have "scoped" at 5-600yds.

The thing to understand is, at that range, they still have the exact same kill zone size that they have at 50 feet. It doesn't get smaller, the farther they are away, even though they may "look" smaller. Whether at 100yd or 600yds, an 18" kill zone is still 18".

BY the way this "friends" statement is one of the more condescending I have seen in a while..

"A very good friend of mine in North Idaho, An ex Navy Seal Snipers says...Well I won't say what he thinks of the normal man taking those shots in "The Field" or the others that didn't make sniper but thought they could be one."

I am not sure what qualifies one to be an "abnormal" man, but I have seen some of the SEALs shoot for "precision" before and simply put was pretty much underwhelmed., but then I guess being just a "normal" man what would I know.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Turn the scope around and look through from the little end, the end near the butt of the rifle.... they'll get bigger!!

Dang DKing-Why didn't I think of that?50 years of huntin and been doin it all wrong here in Ideeeho.

But thank you sir for the advice........Jayco.

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Jayco, nope, I'm an import....

Lawcop, an 18" kill zone? Wowsees, that's one heck of an animal.... JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I have, just last weekend. Nothing but taking a "crack" at one, without a darned good rest. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
Law Cop-Your reply amazes me coming from your background.When my wife and I got married she was a Police Officer.Then came all the classes I was invited to especially the Hand to hand.They needed a new Guinne pig and I was the natural choice being just a dumb old logger.Sounds alot like the ex LA Cops moving to North Idaho like Mark and his Cocky friends.Didn't take long for them to calm down abit as a big part of Seal Team 2 was there along with the Beer Bellied-Poaching out of shape loggers.

Life goes on but for an ex Officer/Prosecuter who was in college when the locals were a huntin and eatin...My My.Opinions are opinions.You have your educated one and I have my on the job.Who knows???

Good luck to you sir....Jayco.

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Jayco, nope, I'm an import....

Lawcop, an 18" kill zone? Wowsees, that's one heck of an animal.... JMO, Dutch.

NOTE TO self, use of a random number for illiteration may be lost on some...
ummm, the size of a six pack is the same whether at 50 feet or 500 yds.
a 9" paper plate is 9" in size no mattter what distance it is from the person viewing it.
An 8 1/2" X 11" piece of paper is the same size whether it is in your hand or if it is nailed to a tree 100 feet away.
OR
an object does not molecularly change it's size in relation to the distance from the light reflecting from it's surface as the light is being received upon the rods and cones of the eye viewing the object.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote