New
Find
Notify
Tools

Diamond Outfitters
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am considering to do a Elk hunt with Diamond Outfitters. Meet them at DSC and the offering quiet a few different hunts in different States.
What are your thoughts

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
What state and unit are you thinking?

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAR60:

New Mexico, Utah, Nevada, Wyoming
The offer didn't show the Unit

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about Diamond Outfitters, but looking at their website and Utah elk Hunt info I was surprised to see them listing Brett Guymon. He's a fantastic guide and owns Apex Outfitters. So I'm guessing that Diamond is possibly a bit of a middle man operation. For their Utah elk hunts at least you also have to draw a tag. If you have the points and are looking to hunt Utah, if it were me, I would just go straight to Brett. You'll likely save a bit too while you're at it.
https://apexoutfitters.net/

Posts: 247 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with Nevada but have Elk hunted NM 9 times and WY 5 0r 6 and UT once and drew a very hard to draw Wasatch tag. In NM you can buy a landowner tag or possibly draw the tag. WY there are no landowner tags for non-residents and unless you have at least 5points (5years) you won't even draw a General tag. There are good bulls killed with a General tag and there are other restrictions for non-residents like not hunting Wilderness Areas w/out Guide or resident. Implemented by the Outfitter Cabal. As far as Utah, they have just changed a few things this year. You can possibly draw a cow or spike tag but if you are looking for a representative bull you have two ways. 1. Draw it with points and that means years out or there are other tags that I can't remember name that are like landowner tags but they'll cost last I heard $18,000.00 or more plus outfitter and add'l costs of getting there.
I agree with Justanotherhunter going straight to outfitter is best. Bottom line: If you are wanting to go Elk Hunting this year or near future it's going to take either points and with point creep that's no guarantee or money. Colorado is another option because they also have landowner tags and OTC tags. I just don't like giving a dime to a state that has is fast turning blue.

quote:
Originally posted by mboga biga bwana:
quote:

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Is this the one that is a "Boddington Certified" outfitter?

Probably a couple guys named diamond outfitting.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Is this the one that is a "Boddington Certified" outfitter?

Probably a couple guys named diamond outfitting.

We discuss about this Outfitter www.diamondoutfitters.com

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the explanation

Its difficult to find the right Unit / Guide / Outfitter

quote:
I have no experience with Nevada but have Elk hunted NM 9 times and WY 5 0r 6 and UT once and drew a very hard to draw Wasatch tag. In NM you can buy a landowner tag or possibly draw the tag. WY there are no landowner tags for non-residents and unless you have at least 5points (5years) you won't even draw a General tag. There are good bulls killed with a General tag and there are other restrictions for non-residents like not hunting Wilderness Areas w/out Guide or resident. Implemented by the Outfitter Cabal. As far as Utah, they have just changed a few things this year. You can possibly draw a cow or spike tag but if you are looking for a representative bull you have two ways. 1. Draw it with points and that means years out or there are other tags that I can't remember name that are like landowner tags but they'll cost last I heard $18,000.00 or more plus outfitter and add'l costs of getting there.
I agree with Justanotherhunter going straight to outfitter is best. Bottom line: If you are wanting to go Elk Hunting this year or near future it's going to take either points and with point creep that's no guarantee or money. Colorado is another option because they also have landowner tags and OTC tags. I just don't like giving a dime to a state that has is fast turning blue.

quote:
Originally posted by mboga biga bwana:
quote:

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
I did fail to mention. What I did years back was hunt CO. Talking Elk, I hunted outside Gunnison for 9 yrs as I was building points in the other states. I was DIY doing a drop camp and was also gaining experience plus guided horseback. Landowner tags for CO Elk are anywhere from 1k on up with price coinciding quality. We non-residents are at a big disadvantage and big learning curve as to figuring out where you need to hunt. Also, for the most part, the good outfitters tend to be booked out 2 to 3 yrs. if this is a trip that would be in the one and done category I would look at it much different than if I wanted to Elk hunt regularly. The right booking agent can add value. Good luck!

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
SCI Life Member
USMC