Find
Notify
Tools

a few Barnes bullet results
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
I was just browsing several bullet sites tonight to see what is new. Looks like Swift is having a bullet sale. Several folks happy with the new TSX from Barnes. Take a look:

from the Barnes website

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been very happy with my TSX experience thus far, and intend to load and shoot them in more calibers and on more hunts in the years to come. However, when I read statments such as
quote:
His guide told us at dinner that night that in all his years guiding he has never seen an elk go down that fast.

I have to take this with a grain of salt. No bullet kills animals instantly at all times. If somebody tells you his or her bullets do so, they are either inexperienced, bragging or work for the bullet maker's marketing department. There are just too many variables. Often people will forget the next shot with the bullets that until now have killed like lightning. All of a sudden, and for no apparent reason the animal runs off, just like it has occasionally done with any number of other bullets.

So all in all, I'm really happy with TSXs, but it is probably best to stay realistic about them (as well as other bullets).

Btw, a statement like this:
quote:
The most amazing hit killed two mule deer—a large doe and a 4x4 buck standing directly behind her. One shot, and they both fell in their tracks. The bullet penetrated both sets of ribs, took out the heart and lungs of each, and exited across the countryside.

Would have left me with decidedly red ears. But I guess pepople see things differently.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc:

I have had extremely good performace accuracy and terminal performance with the TSX and told Barnes so...Heck, they even "published" my picture with Pierre van Tonder and one of my Cape Buff in the link you posted...but I used a 458 Lott then, possibly they should have used the info. I gave them on hunt instead of the 30-378...oh well!!!

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc
It would be hard to imagine that all of those
people work for Barnes public relations
So I guess it would be safe to assume that
the TSX are pretty good bullets.
I plan on useing them in my new 375 H&H
as soon as I figure out a good load
I like having the option of ,as in useing
accubonds for the accuracy but the massive meat damage is getting old . or the TSX just as
accutare possibaly without the meat damage
Charlie

Posts: 165 | Location: unit 10 Colorado | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
Barnes certainly wouldn't post negative feedback on their website, so I tend to blow it off. I also tend to blow off a single group, because if I shoot 100 groups, I am bound to get a lucky one. I have never tested this bullet, so I am not completely convinced.
However, I have not heard the negative feedback that I did with the X, and if the TS is as accurate as everyones says, and I firmly believe it has the terminal performance, the bullet will be a sweet one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not that I am an expert, but I will never shoot a Barnes Bullet again. Now I know that the technology has come along way in 9 years, but my experience 9 years ago was horrible.

We were using the Xs reloaded in a 30-06 at about 2950fps. They held good groups and come opening morning my friend and I were hunting mule deer. A 3 point buck jumped up infront of my friend, stood broadside at 80-90 yards, and then my friend shot it. The buck took off like a rocket, running down the canyon. over 1/2 mile later we watched a guy shoot the deer. We headed down there to see what had happened. The gutted buck showed a pinhole between 2 ribs lung high. The bullet exited the other side and never expanded. A perfect shot and a horrible bullet performance. I have heard the same of the muzzleloader bullets. Like I said before, technology may have come a long way, I don't need to take the chance.

Give Me Nosler Partions, or Give me a 50 Cal Roundball

Posts: 787 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had bad luck with Barnes in the past. There are too many good bullet out there to hassle with Barnes inaccuracy, barrel fouling and failure to expand on game. And their prices are too high. Maybe things have changed, but I am through wasting time/money on them.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hey thats my man Jim Sherman who posts here, with Pierre van Tonder and the Cape Buffalo last year in Tanzania...Jim is a favorite client of ours....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
500 & MC:

Your experiences are exactly why I didn't try Barnes years ago. All I ever heard was "pencil through, no expansion unless hit bone, lost game, terrible fouling, inaccurate..."

Then Barnes came out with that little Blue pill, the XLC. It was supposed to be good for copper fouling, less friction, increased velocity, etc. Yet, I was still afraid to try it. For me, it was really fear of the unknown. I figured the blue coating would stick to the lands just as bad as copper. I call it "molly fear," where I lump ALL coatings into that term. I think of it as an additive to your motor oil. I don't use any of those motor additives, just pure oil every 2500 miles.

Then, along comes this Triple Shock. Yes, pure copper but cut grooves and longer. I guess one of the things that did intrigued me was (and I'm just taking a stab at this), if there is no lead core, it would seem that there is no worry about concentricity, at least not in that sense. Plus, the newly designed hollow point will open on a Jack rabbit. So, I gave them a try. So far I'm happy with them. (But I still love my partitions).

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My experience was very similar to those noted above in regards to the standard "X" that being I was never really satisfied with them. I used the standard "X" in camberings requiring a bullet that would stand up to high velocity.

About 18 months ago I started to look at different alternatives and the last thing on my list was Barnes. I tested Swifts, Nosler, and some others, in all their different configurations, not being statisfied and finding out about the TSX, I gave them a try. They worked out much better than the Swifts, Noslers, etc. Unfortunately, I did not know of North Fork or Woodleighs bullets at that time.

The TSX was worked well in every rifle we have tested and it is far superior to the standard "X" in regards to accuracy, less fouling, etc. If I had know about North Forks and Woodleighs, I would have given them a try at that time. I do use the North Forks and Woodleigh now and I think they are a very good products.

I for one am thankful that we have many choices of bullets....but for now I use primarily Barnes TSX, North Forks, and Woodleighs depending upon the rifle and what I am hunting...I am sure something will come down the road that I will have to try... I acutally look forward to testing new products. For those of you who were turned off by the standard "X" you might ought to give the TSX a try...they work well so far...

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote