New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gemsbok in New Mexico
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I would like to take my father on a Gemsbok hunt in New Mexico.

Can anyone here recommend an outfitter?

Thanks,

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
N. Garrett,

Those hunts are either depredation hunts or once-in-a-lifetime draw hunts. I don't know about outfitters, but I do know you have to draw a permit first.

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Elite Outfitters, Ruidoso, NM.
Johnny or Brian
1-505-257-5379. Sorry, I don't know how to install a link to them. I am not involved with them, but I spent a couple of weeks with them a couple of years ago during Turkey season. Great guys, we went to the White Sands Range and took a bunch of photos of Gemsbok, really neat to be around.
I asked them about a hunt, on the range, it is a once in a lifetime draw, through NM. Off range, it is depredation hunt, they don't want them off the range, so adjacent landowners can harvest them. I met some guy's wife that had taken one the prior year. Elite has landowner contacts, and said they could arrange it, with very good odds of success. I was unable to make it due to already booked a trip. Depending on the time of year, they also have landowner Pronghorn, I saw some of these, great animals due to very limited hunting. It would not be a demanding hunt, either.
Good luck with it!
Bob Edwards

Posts: 24 | Location: Louisville, KY, USA | Registered: 17 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen booking agents with landowner tags for NM Gembsbok. For the price of these however, one could fly to Namibia, hunt for 5 days and shoot a Gemsbok (with a couple other critters) there! thumb

JHMO,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Don't pay for an outfitter for this hunt. You can rent a 4x4 truck or SUV in Albq or El Paso and drive up and whack one.

Talk to the BLM and the Game and Fish and they will give you directions.

All you need is a BLM map and a the intellegence to use it. A GPS will help those too dumb to read a BLM map.

Paying an outfitter $4500-2500 to whack one is insane. They are the only 100% success animal in NM.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
You cannot just whack one in NM. They are a regulated game animal, even on private land. In Texas you can shoot them on private land with permission from (and payment to) a landowner on whose land they reside. In NM you'd better buy the landowner tag, pay the outfitter, or take your chances in the draw.

And these guys are right, for the average NM outfitted price you can go to Namibia and shot a couple of 'em along with a springbok and maybe a kudu.

Posts: 3300 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
N. Garrett,
I am reluctant to quote a price, as it has been a couple of years, and I might remember wrong, but it seems like $2500.00 for Gemsbok and $2500.00 for Pronghorn,(saw some great Pronghorn), included landowner tag, camp (usually a fifth wheel trailer), food, pick-up / deliver from Alb. Airport, field prep., etc.
While I have not tried, I cannot imagine working out the details of locating the game, finding a landowner with a number of animals worth spending the time persuing, food and lodging in a fairly remote place, etc., without someone on the ground or a lot of time.
I don't want to seem like an advertisement, I am in no way affiliated, don't get a discount for booking, or anything else, just the info you requested to the best of my increasingly limited memory.
Also, I meant to say in the first post, that almost every Gemsbok I saw had a broken horn, or similar defect. I have no idea if this is what they are like in Africa.
Good luck with your adventure!
Bob

Posts: 24 | Location: Louisville, KY, USA | Registered: 17 May 2005Reply With Quote