New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tri-pod?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have begun to hunt a pop-up blind. My shots are generally 100yds or less and I use a bipod shooting stick. Last time I hunted I had a chance to shoot at around 250yds and didn’t find them steady enough to take the shot. I head shoot wild pigs. I am considering using the Stoney Point (with rest) tripod. Has anyone used this? Opinions please. I know that I could practice more, and I will, but I want to be as fare as possible to the game. Thanks,Capt david troll

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Captdavid, I've got a buddy that shoots some limb rats pretty far away from his back deck, 250-300 yards,and he keeps one of the Stoney Tripod setups close at hand to shoot from. It is definitely a lot more stable than the bipod sticks.

If you have room or the ability to set it up though, I would definitely try to get set up so that you could use a Harris bi-pod off of whatever to get the height where you want. This is the best stability for a portable type rig in my opinion. I have made some really excellent shots sitting and or kneeling while using the Harris bipods, I really like them.

Regards--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
captdavid ----- I have used the Stoney Point tripod since it came out. I use it Elk hunting in Colorado every year, took it to Africa but used their sticks there. I particularly like the tripod because you can use it as a bipod or tripod, by simply folding two of the legs together. With legs fully extended you can easily adjust the height by moving the rear leg forward or back. I use it as a walking stick while hunting. I also use it more as a prop for my Binoculars then anything else. Sitting down you can spread it over your lap and rest the Binos on it all day with comfort. wave Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2361 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am considering these or the Mobile Tech Deluxe Roto Blaster Gun Rest sold by cabelas. thanks again capt david

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I often build a kind of "saw horse" (two legs at angle, one side of a cross piece and two at the other end) Then I incorporate it into my ground blind so I can use it as a shooting rest. Cheep and easy to make I have left them at various locations all over the area I hunt. Diffrent times I have had hunting buddies say "I saw one of your stand sites at such and such location".

Robin

Posts: 265 | Location: Rocky Mtn. Hse., Alberta | Registered: 09 September 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
captdavid,

Ever thought about converting a standard photographers tripod? You will need to fabricate somesort of "cradle" to go on the top..

This set up are popular with snipers in urban situations where they need to set up in a house ie in room well back from the window and finding that they have to take a standing position.

Of course there is no reason a similar set up could'nt be used sitting either...

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The shooting sticks for Africa work great.

Long Grass

Good luck!

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i built a set of shooting sticks w/ electric fence staffs,3/8th by 4'.join them at 30 inches w/ 3/16ths bolt.you can find this at any farm/ranch store,also ask for docking bands or calf bands, will look exactly like green cherios use a pair of needle nose pliers to install band above and below bolt.this provides some spring to the sticks,leave them 4' long and use them as walking stalf,spray paint to prefered camo.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote