Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Great Colorado Elk Hunt
 Login/Join

posted
Congrats. I went to B.C. 9/15 and shot a 6 x 6, small elk in the 280s. Two weeks later went to Trinidad CO, and shot a 370 class 6 x 6 (really a 7 with a small kicker on one side), with a lot of mass: the bases were 9 1/2in and over 6in of circumference at the fourths.

I used a Charlie Sisk mod 70 300Win 180 gr Barnes triple X, Fed match 215s, Lapua brass, 76gr RL-22: a shade under 3000 fps.

I recovered one bullet from the second elk. It worked flawlessly, opened up like an "X" with 100% weight retention. The B.C. elk was 220 yds, the CO elk was 268 yds.

Posts: 24 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Phurley

I too am arriving in Craig on the 4th. Staying at the KOA, and hunting a ranch west of Craig. I have two cow tags, and son has a doe tag.
Good luck to you!

Ed

Posts: 12 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: 08 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Just got back from my elk hunt in Craig, Colorado where I got a 5X5 my last day of a 5 day hunt. Drop him at 169 yards with my Weatherby Vanguard 30-06 using 168 gr. Barnes Triple Shock that I reloaded. He never moved, just drop in his tracks. My son-in-law also got a 5X5 using the same load and his drop his in his tracks at 239 yards. All four of us got bull elks. We were really happy campers, makes traveling 3600 miles round trip worth while.

dbuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
dbuck ----- I hunt the Craig area the last season starting Nov 6th. I was wondering where you hunted around Craig, what the weather was like, and if the Elk are down from the high country yet. Any information greatly appreciated. Good shooting.

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dbuck

Congratulations! Was your hunt a guided hunt on private land?

Thanks

Mark

Posts: 367 | Location: Anchor Point, Alaska | Registered: 03 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats friend. Elk are my favorite.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote