Find
Notify
Tools

Spotted Fallow
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
I got my first Fallow Deer this weekend. I wish my friend had taken pics from the side, it had a HUGE body - it was hard for he and I to load on a low tailgate rack!

I hear they are good eating - dropped the meat off for processing.

Planning a wall pedestal mount.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3061 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of edholum
posted Hide Post
Very Nice Fallow you got there. I was surprised at their body size as well, they are quite solid. They are also terrific table fare, very tasty tu2

Posts: 260 | Location: SE South Dakota | Registered: 20 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

I've seen bigger fallow, but given these aren't managed or don't have introduced genetics, they are quite nice!

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3061 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a terrific fallow. Now how about some details of the hunt/range/rifle/load etc.? Smiler

As to tablefare, I've only taken one, and it was superb. It may not be in the league of axis, but it is still very good.

My favored method for cooking fallow and venison alike is to marinate the steaks overnight, dump them onto a HOT cast iron skillet to quickly sear/brown both sides and seal in the flavor/moisture and then bake it in a covered dish (unsalted butter on the bottom) for several hours on low heat (250-275). Adding a few choice veggies to bake atop the meat seals the deal... Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9377 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice animal,Congrats.I cook my Venison medium Rare.All the good taste is cooked out if cooked to long because the meat is so lean.i like to cut the rounds into 1/2" steaks and sear on both sides in hot butter in a cast iron pan .Then it goes right on the plate to be eaten.Food of The Gods!!!!!!

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Yes, OLBIKER is right: you have to be very careful with the lean wild meats as they will dry up to leather-like consistency in a hurry. The method I use renders the meat falling-apart tender and quite moist as long as you use a form-fitting lid that doesn't allow the moisture to escape. Been there, done that and did not like the results... Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9377 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Austin Hunter, can you give us some tips for where to hunt those (without naming your exact spot of course)?

In Tenn. we have them at Land Between The Lakes. I haven't been there in ages, but it is/was draw permit type public hunting.

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Nice fallow.

Venison steaks - brushed with olive oil, sprinkled with granulated garlic, grilled on hot grill to medium rare. Perfect.

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shack:
Austin Hunter, can you give us some tips for where to hunt those (without naming your exact spot of course)?

In Tenn. we have them at Land Between The Lakes. I haven't been there in ages, but it is/was draw permit type public hunting.

This was on a 4,500 acre portion of a ranch we lease. I would search for Fallow hunts in Texas and find a ranch. Be wary of the guys offering hunts with 160-320 fenced pens that are flat and void of cover - that is a canned hunt and not challenging.