Notify
Tools

Scent control, and whitetail.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ncboman:
ok, nothing like an open mind. Smiler ...
If you go back and read his first two posts, you will realize he is "once again" talking about a subject where he really has no actual knowledge. Seems to be a common trait amongst a lot most of the Hack writers of today. Why anyone would totally waste money on any of their written ignorance is beyond reason.
-----

After the smoke was mentioned, I wondered just how many thousands(x10, x100, x???) of years man has been using smoke as a cover scent.

I've inadvertently passed through a fairly recent Burn Over and had ashes flitting around me. Saw plenty of Deer which are used to controlled burns in the Southeastern USA.

I still try to be as clean as I can, but I do know for sure there are things that will mask where your feet touch. And it doesn't matter to me if ANYONE else believes it or not. I do.

Don't let the fools bother you. Just think of all the real HUGE Whopper Trophy Game they have never seen because the Game knew they were present. rotflmo

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"just think of the really hugh trophy game they have never seen because the game knew they were there."

Now that is about as dumb a statement as I have read in a while........ If a really hugh trophy deer is walking through the woods and no one sees him, is he really there? Smiler Smiler Smiler So you shake a little gopher pee on your boots and the really hugh trophy deer run up and try to climb in the tree with you, huh? ROFLMAO. Come on HC.

That's almost as dumb as "if you haven't tried it, how do you know it won't work?" There are only so many hours in the day and only so many hunting days in the year. Why waste them on some snake oil idea from someone with something to sell. I've never walked thru the woods with a Ronald McDonald suit on blowing a doe call neither but I've a pretty good idea it ain't gonna work.
It's been said that really hugh trophy deer don't get that way by being stupid. Well, the same thing can be said about old hunters that have had pretty good success. They may have started out stupid but over the years they've learnt to recognize a snake oil saleman when they see one. stir

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A small note on my current tests. I think the dog is going to be very useful.
She can trail a fresh slice of hotdog right to the source with no trouble at all. If the hotdog is put in a sock, she can still "wind" it just fine, provided she is kind of close, but she can't trail it.
I've had a hotdog sitting in a clean sock for a day now, I'll be taking that out shortly for some testing.
I like the trailing test because it is easy to set up, and see the results.It's harder to get her into a consistent scent cone. Once I have some more predictable resuls, I'll start covering the sock with smoke or scent killer spray, and testing that.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
quote:
Originally posted by ncboman:
ok, nothing like an open mind. Smiler ...
If you go back and read his first two posts, you will realize he is "once again" talking about a subject where he really has no actual knowledge. Seems to be a common trait amongst a lot most of the Hack writers of today. Why anyone would totally waste money on any of their written ignorance is beyond reason.
-----

After the smoke was mentioned, I wondered just how many thousands(x10, x100, x???) of years man has been using smoke as a cover scent.

I've inadvertently passed through a fairly recent Burn Over and had ashes flitting around me. Saw plenty of Deer which are used to controlled burns in the Southeastern USA.

I still try to be as clean as I can, but I do know for sure there are things that will mask where your feet touch. And it doesn't matter to me if ANYONE else believes it or not. I do.

Don't let the fools bother you. Just think of all the real HUGE Whopper Trophy Game they have never seen because the Game knew they were present. rotflmo

Well, I'm not going to insult the guy just because he's ignorant and too stubborn to educate himself more.

I don't have to 'believe it' because I've done the field work and know deer can't smell me when my outerwear is smoked.

fwiw, rubber boots leave no scent.

Smiler

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frank4570:
It has always surprised that merely smoking a deer hide actually changes the hide. I wouldn't think that enough smoke particles actually touch the hide, but they do.

From handouts made at Victoria Settlement Provincial Historic Site.

quote:
Sometimes the Indian would smoke the hide for color as well as to preserve it. Smoking also hid their scent from larger game animals,

web page

Smiler

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of personal experience and actual results. I don't generally care why something works, I mostly just care that it does.

BTW I've been sitting here reading my deer hide tanning book, the section on smoking the hide.

quote:

I don't have to 'believe it' because I've done the field work and know deer can't smell me when my outerwear is smoked.

fwiw, rubber boots leave no scent.

Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One observation on the effectiveness of cover scents leads me to strongly doubt their utility. A few years ago in the Yukon on a sheep hunt, I mentioned cover scents to my guide who had never heard of them. He laughed and related a story of a hunter he had guided on a grizzly hunt. They were observing a grizzly from a distance of about 200 yards with the wind in their face. The bear was feeding on an old rotting moose gut pile that was putrid and about two weeks old. Suddenly the wind shifted and they felt it on the back of their neck. Instantly the bear jerked his head up with rotting entrails hanging from his mouth, turned and ran like hell!

That bear was able to detect human odor from 200 yards away with a snoot full of one of the strongest "cover scents" I could imagine. I suspect that when deer smell someone with cover scents he smells the stench of a human mixed in with the odor of fox urine, or dirt or whatever. I also read an article by Chuck Adams who has a lot of experience with scents. He also characterized the theory behind cover scents as "baloney". Adams did feel, however, that attractant scents did appear to work on occasion.

Posts: 152 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One easy way to check this out, if you want to commit the hunting time, is to go and get yourself a little kiddie pop up tent and smoke yourself real good according to the instructions.
Then hunt downwind for a week. Be as sneaky as you can but you've got to be on the ground. Keep careful records of how many deer you see and at what distance. At what direction were they relative to you? (ie in front, to the side, behind, etc) How many really, hugh trophy deer did you see?
Now then, forget the snake oil stuff, forget the smoke-in. Just hunt into the wind for a week. Again, be as sneaky as you can and keep careful records.
Come back and tell us what you find.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shack:

You are so right. (I,too, never used scents -and I'm even older than you)Smiler White tails behave oddly on occasion as we all know. (One time, hunting ruffed grouse, I sat down against a tree with a shotgun across my knees -and a doe walked within 20 feet of me -with a late fawn. (Early Fall and varying breezes)In fact, the fawn wanted to investigate me and wanted to walk right up to me. I actually had to make a movement to warn it off and then, and only then did the doe spook) (BTW, I,also am not sold on the virtues of camo in deer hunting,but that's another topic)

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty good idea. I might be able to do a lot of that.

quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
One easy way to check this out, if you want to commit the hunting time, is to go and get yourself a little kiddie pop up tent and smoke yourself real good according to the instructions.
Then hunt downwind for a week. Be as sneaky as you can but you've got to be on the ground. Keep careful records of how many deer you see and at what distance. At what direction were they relative to you? (ie in front, to the side, behind, etc) How many really, hugh trophy deer did you see?
Now then, forget the snake oil stuff, forget the smoke-in. Just hunt into the wind for a week. Again, be as sneaky as you can and keep careful records.
Come back and tell us what you find.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank people who are too lazy to try the scent reduction stuff will always tell you it doesn't work. I damn sure know as well as everyone else that hunting the wind does work. The problem is the wind woesn't always blow the direction you can work with.

If I hunt close to home I'm a fanatic about scent reduction-and I do very well with my longbow. When I'm in camp scent reduction is next to impossible so although I have fun, when I hunt further from home I definately see less game and very seldome can I reach out and poke them with an arrow like I can at home. To me that's definate proof that it works.

You'll also have rifle hunters saying "ohhh I get to 40 or 25 yards all the time with no scent reduction". They may not realize that the wind is in their favour at these times. It's a huge difference getting to 25 yards compared to say 5 yards. There's no reason to get that close but I do it routinely-honestly and while hunting on the ground.

You'll notice I've said "scent reduction" not elimination because it's impossible to smell like nothing at all. But if you can reduce your scent it sure can't hurt can it?

By the way I wrote this while on a break from brain tanning some elk hides. You should try it sometime its sure a rewarding passtime.

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
3 dry deer hides in the shed, one still wet in the freezer, and 5 squirrel hides on the stretchers, that's the easy part. Wink I may tan them when the weather warms up a little. Also working on flint knapping, tracking, and bird language.

quote:
Originally posted by calgarychef1:
Frank people who are too lazy to try the scent reduction stuff will always tell you it doesn't work. I damn sure know as well as everyone else that hunting the wind does work. The problem is the wind woesn't always blow the direction you can work with.

If I hunt close to home I'm a fanatic about scent reduction-and I do very well with my longbow. When I'm in camp scent reduction is next to impossible so although I have fun, when I hunt further from home I definately see less game and very seldome can I reach out and poke them with an arrow like I can at home. To me that's definate proof that it works.

You'll also have rifle hunters saying "ohhh I get to 40 or 25 yards all the time with no scent reduction". They may not realize that the wind is in their favour at these times. It's a huge difference getting to 25 yards compared to say 5 yards. There's no reason to get that close but I do it routinely-honestly and while hunting on the ground.

You'll notice I've said "scent reduction" not elimination because it's impossible to smell like nothing at all. But if you can reduce your scent it sure can't hurt can it?

By the way I wrote this while on a break from brain tanning some elk hides. You should try it sometime its sure a rewarding passtime.

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can't figure out a way to use the wind direction to your advantage, you need to spend more time afield and less time reading snake oil ads. Smiler

Aim for the exit hole

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Writer:
I crush fresh garlic cloves, rub them all over my naked body and then eat the leftovers. Roll Eyes

This seems to work as good as any other *wasted* effort other then staying downwind.

You got it right.Thats why when Bow hunting I have a multitude of stands to choose from.If you have food plots or any known food source it is easy to set up the majority of your stands accordingly to the prevailing winds.Also changing stands often so the Deer cant PATTERN you helps.Just my 2 cents!!!

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you wanted to change stands everytime the wind changes around here you'd spend more time walking back and forth than anything else.

We're in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains and the wind blows from three directions EVERY DAMN DAY Mad If you have constant prevailing winds you should get on your knees and thank the Lord. Also we don't use food plots, so we have to resort to other tricks and "snake oil" methods, like scent reduction.

cheers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's that way it was here this year. I just talked to a friend and said everybody had trouble because there was so much swirling wind this year.

quote:
Originally posted by calgarychef1:
If you wanted to change stands everytime the wind changes around here you'd spend more time walking back and forth than anything else.

We're in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains and the wind blows from three directions EVERY DAMN DAY Mad If you have constant prevailing winds you should get on your knees and thank the Lord. Also we don't use food plots, so we have to resort to other tricks and "snake oil" methods, like scent reduction.

cheers!

one of us
posted Hide Post

Wayne National Forest
Rim of the World
Land of swirling winds