THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Anyone ever have to wrestle with a deer?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone ever have to wrestle with a deer?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Last week on Good Pets Gone Bad, there was a guy dressed up in a Santa suit going out to feed his reindeer(caribou). Well it turns out it was breeding season and the biggest bull turned on him and pinned him to the ground. After trying unsuccessfully to get away, he had to yell for help. The neighbors came and they could not get the bull off of him. They called the police and they roped it's back legs and set "Santa" free. Poor "bou" had a heart attack
because of all the excitment so Santa ate him.
Anyone out there ever have to wrestle an animal like that? rotflmo

Posts: 141 | Location: Upstate, New York | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is about as close as I've seen..

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2718572

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had to wrestle a mule deer buck. I was much younger and hunting by myself. I shot a buck poorly and ran out of bullets trying to put him down. I was not carriing any more ammo. Ended up wrestling him over to an irrigation pivot, tieing him up with my belt, went back to my pack and got my knife. I had to slit his throat and sit there and watch him die. Worst thing I've ever done and it still gives me nightmares. I very rarely admit it to anyone. I ended up with a bruised thigh and back where he kicked me. Also got a small puncture wound on the other thigh from an antler. It was horrible. I learned a number of lessons that day.

NoCAL

Posts: 167 | Location: Woodland, CA USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a buddy with me one time that killed a deer. On the way down to get the deer, he spooked a javelina hog that ran between his legs. Knocked my buddy to the ground and broke his leg. The javelina turned on him and he ended up killing the javelina with a pocket knife. I did not personnaly see it but hearing his shot I came up on him about 45 minutes later and had to take him to the hospital. All this was about 30 miles south of Ozona Texas.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NoCAL:
I have had to wrestle a mule deer buck. I was much younger and hunting by myself. I shot a buck poorly and ran out of bullets trying to put him down. I was not carriing any more ammo. Ended up wrestling him over to an irrigation pivot, tieing him up with my belt, went back to my pack and got my knife. I had to slit his throat and sit there and watch him die. Worst thing I've ever done and it still gives me nightmares. I very rarely admit it to anyone. I ended up with a bruised thigh and back where he kicked me. Also got a small puncture wound on the other thigh from an antler. It was horrible. I learned a number of lessons that day.

NoCAL

First being, bring a hangman's noose in your daypack, I assume? Smiler

Goofballing aside; wow! Good on you for the follow-through, ugly though it was. Sure sounds like a bad day for the both of you. But more for him, fortunately. I've seen a video where some luckless dumbass tries to get past a cow moose with calf, and pays dearly for his/her foolhardiness. The cow stomped that person about into a carpet. I don't know the outcome, but after the first few passes, the person didn't appear to be moving anymore.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This one time in band camp, this fat chick, well never mind! Eeker

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BACK many many many many years ago...a guy I know Roll Eyes yeah thats it, it was some guy... anyway, I..er..he was about 8 feet up ion a limb casually bow hunting when this smaller doe walked in right under the tree. NOW as he explained it to me I ah he thought he would try a REAL heman stunt, figuring jumping from the tree to the back of the deer to stun it with the impact and then take it out with the belt knife. NOW THAT sounded like a fantastic idea doesn't it???? Big Grin
anyway, as my "friend" launched the deer turned slightly to the movement and instead of taking it in the back with both feet, he wound up splitting on it like he was going to ride it. THe impact took the deer to its knees since it only weighed a little over 100, maybe at most 120 pounds at best guess and the "guy" was a young football tough of 220. It took about half a second for the deer to recover and launch into aerobatics and power that launched him in about 2 seconds. He couldn't even begin to control the animal. It took about 2 weeks for all the bruises and scratches to go away.

He NEVER tried anything like that again. jumping

NEVER fear the night. Fear what hunts IN the night.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about wrestling deer, but I do know a guy who tried to bulldog a muskox calf off the skid of a Bell 205.

The calf went left about the time the 205 went right, and he missed. The rocks west of Baker Lake are pretty hard, from about 8' of altitude and 40 knots or so... Big Grin.

Actually, it was priceless!

Posts: 5890 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KC Carlin
posted Hide Post
I did in high school. It was a tough match, he got me in a half nelson and I couldn't get free.
He pinned me that time, but I beat him in District finals later that year.
PS- He was a 30 inch buck... I swear! Wink

Posts: 295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never any deer but when I was a kid the DOW was relocating some Pronghorns off of my dad's and his neighbors places. We got to watch them be herded into capture nets by helicopter and then we got to jump on them and hold them down until they could be loaded into trailers. I was probably 9 or 10 at the time, I thought it was a blast because I got to skip school. It was amazing how powerful such little animal could be.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I once spined a 8 point whitetail while bowhunting. He couldn't get up but he could still still kick so I was worried he was only stunned. He took great exception to me resolving our transaction with a knife. In hindsight another arrow would have made more sense than wrasslin the antlers out of the way...

posted Hide Post
My dad spinned a doe bowhunting, So being the young and dumb son, I elected to cut the throat. I ended up with a split lip, from a collision with the back of the doe's head.

Posts: 21 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I've never all out wrestled one but, I've went into a couple of thickets w/ a pocket knife and finished off a couple of wounded ones in the past. When I look back, it would have been much better to just have wasted another bullet on them.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trailblazerltz:
"bou" had a heart attack
because of all the excitment so Santa ate him.

Now that is funny jumping

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a good series of photos taken when we heeled a ten point whitetail who was hung up fighting another ten pointer. We roped his heels and cut the antlers off with a hack saw, turned them both loose. The antlers are on my brother's coffee table.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote