Find
Notify
Tools

Moose, Big Moose, Lots of Big Moose!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
I've got some buddies coming out from Missisippi next week to hunt deer. So I went on a little scouting ride this morning, and aside from six bucks (2 four points, one 4x3, and 3 forked horns in a bachelor group), I saw a lot of Shiras moose. Two cow/calf pairs, and four bulls. This is the first time I have ever seen four bulls standing together within 10 feet of each other and only 25 yards from my horse and me. One was small, and the other three were shooters. The biggest one was probably 40-42" wide, 12" palms, 3 points on each brow tine, and 10 distinct, not stubby, additional points per side. He was a beauty! On the way out, I saw them again. The two largest bulls were standing in the trail sparring. I had to chase them off. It was an awesome morning.

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SBT sounds like u had a good morning ride. all the best.

Posts: 510 | Location: pa | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SBT. Sounds awesome.Better not chat too much about it locally or by the time your buddies arrive it will be Moose,dead moose,lots of dead moose.And you will only get to give them the gut pile tour.
Lots of moose where I live in Alberta,but for the most part only mostly seen in that half hour window after first light.I see a fair few moose in a day because I am out in the dark waiting for first light.I have lots of friends hunting one hour later than me that never see moose at all.Pays to up your chances hunting at this time especially after hunting opens and the pressure is on. Cheers Turnerhunter

Posts: 111 | Location: Turner Valley, Alberta | Registered: 24 September 2002Reply With Quote
<Herb D>
posted
I sure miss seeing moose in Wyoming . . . After hearing your report on your scouting ride, I can't wait to get to Pinedale next month for elk.

Last year a trophy moose was killed by a truck there. After two days of seeing it lying next to the highway the rack was suddenly gone! Somebody's probably bragging now about his trophy moose.

Now if only my waiting period for another moose tag was up sooner!!! [Mad]