THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Tree stands? Wear your safety straps.......

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tree stands? Wear your safety straps.......
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Personally I'm afraid of heights so this doesn't apply to me but I am posting this very sad story to REMIND everyone that it can happen to ANYONE. BE CAREFUL, WEAR SAFETY EQUIPMENT.

quote:

Injured Indiana hunter chooses to end life support
Associated Press By JENI O'MALLEY
November 5, 2013

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Tim Bowers loved the outdoors. Hunting gave him the quiet time during which he could reflect on a busy life that included a new wife, a successful business and a baby on the way.

The Indiana man was enjoying that time while hunting for deer Saturday when he fell 16 feet from a tree and suffered a severe spinal injury that paralyzed him from the shoulders down. Doctors thought he might never breathe on his own again.

Confronted with that prognosis, Bowers' family made an unusual request of doctors at Fort Wayne's Lutheran Hospital: Could Bowers be brought out of sedation and told of his condition so he could decide for himself whether he wanted to live or die?

The doctors said yes, and Bowers made his choice.

"We just asked him, 'Do you want this?' And he shook his head emphatically no," his sister, Jenny Shultz, said of her brother, who was also often found hunting, camping or helping his father on his northeastern Indiana farm.

Courts have long upheld the right of patients to refuse life support. The American Medical Association says competent adults can craft directives stating if or when they want such systems withdrawn or withheld should injuries or illness leave them unable to make those decisions.

But it's rare after a devastating injury that a patient would get to make such a decision for himself. The heart-wrenching call to remove life support is more often left to surrogates who must speak for those patients. Even when a patient has outlined his wishes for end-of-life care, the decision can tear families apart.

Shultz, of Las Vegas, has seen it happen in her job. But her medical training also meant she understood the severity of her 32-year-old brother's injuries. His C3, C4 and C5 vertebrae were crushed. Though his brain was not injured, his body was irreparably broken. Surgery could fuse the vertebrae, but that would only allow Bowers to sit up. He would never walk or hold his baby. He might live the rest of his life in a rehabilitation hospital, relying on a machine to help him breathe. He'd never return to those outdoor activities that gave him such peace.

Shultz said her brother — the youngest of four siblings — wanted to talk but couldn't because the ventilator tube was still in place. She told him that if the tube was removed, they weren't sure how long he would live. But when she asked if he wanted the tube reinserted if he was struggling, he shook his head no.

Doctors asked Bowers the same questions and got the same responses. The tube came out Sunday.

The last five hours of Tim Bowers' life were spent with family and friends, about 75 of whom gathered in the hospital waiting room. They prayed and sang songs.

Through it all, Shultz said, her brother never wavered in his decision to die.

"I just remember him saying so many times that he loved us all and that he lived a great life," she said. "At one point he was saying, 'I'm ready. I'm ready.'"

Medical ethicists say it's rare for patients to decide on the spot to be removed from life support, especially so soon after an injury. But standard medical ethics practice is to grant more autonomy to patients, and courts have upheld their rights to decide on end-of-life care.

Patients often change their minds after they've had time to meet with spiritual advisers and family, said Art Caplan, director of the medical ethics program at New York University's Langone Medical Center in New York City.

Dr. Paul Helft, director of the Charles Warren Fairbanks Center for Medical Ethics in Indianapolis, said cases in which the patient makes the decision usually involve a debilitating illness such as Lou Gehrig's disease, which compromises the patient's body but leaves the mind intact.

Helft said patients have been legally and ethically permitted to make their own decisions on life support for several decades, due in part to court cases and the evolution of the practice of medicine, which places more emphasis on patients' rights.

"We give patients autonomy to make all kinds of decisions about themselves," he said. "We've recognized that it's important that patients have the right to self-determination."

Shultz said her family had an idea what her brother would want because he had previously talked with his wife, Abbey, whom he married Aug. 3, about never wanting to spend his life in a wheelchair.

She knows that not everyone would make the same call. But she's thankful her brother was able to make his own decision.

"No outcome was ever going to be the one that we really want, but I felt that he did it on his terms in the end," she said.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reminder Gato. It is that time of year and I will spend 4-5 mornings or evenings a week 25' up in my climber for the next 3 months. My wife was a rehab nurse for a bunch of years and is now a neuro nurse practitioner. Along time ago she told me she did not care how many days i hunted but I have a safety vest. So now i do not go without it. The new ones have pockets and clips. Never go in woods without it..

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is MANDATORY, doesn't matter if it's a 12' Post Oak, or a 100' Cottonwood, please wear your safety harness. What a great looking young man, with everything in front of him, God Bless him, and his family.. This is very sad

Posts: 561 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A very BRUTAL reminder. I can't say I wouldn't make the same call.
God rest his soul.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I feel naked without my harness, like driving without a seatbelt. Both the harness and seatbelt took getting used to, but they will save lives at very little cost.

I read somewhere about a man volunteering with a disabled hunters group. Most of the hunters were disabled in tree stand falls.

Many people use the argument that the harness will break you with the sudden shock, or cut off circulation in your legs like a tourniquet. That is untrue if you have it adjusted properly. I set mine to just barely tighten on me when I sit down. There is no way I could fall far enough to get hurt, and if I slip off the stand, I will still be at the same level to get back on. Plus, mine has a loop extending to foot level, so I can put the weight on a foot instead of the harness holding me.

I am a better hunter with the harness, since I am not worried about falling.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My brother just had an incident with a climber. Scared the hell out of him

I never use the safety equipment which is probably stupid. My climber faces the tree and I have a rail all around me. Between my brother and this, it makes me think.

Posts: 12019 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I never use the safety equipment which is probably stupid.

Probably? Larry, please us your safety equipment.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
I do also feel naked in the tree without my safety harness. A few weeks ago I climed into the tree and noticed I forgot to put my harness on (just tight on time and failed to put it on). I don't have a very far walk to my stand location so, I climbed out of the tree and got the harness and then reclimbed the tree. It's not worth taking the chance.

A gentlemen I work with told me his brother fell out of a tree a few years ago. The stand gave way and he tumbled 16 ft', hitting multiple branches on the way down. That may have save his life but, still ended up with a broken collar bone, broken wrist and forearm.

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 596 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Many people use the argument that the harness will break you with the sudden shock, or cut off circulation in your legs like a tourniquet. That is untrue if you have it adjusted properly. I set mine to just barely tighten on me when I sit down. There is no way I could fall far enough to get hurt, and if I slip off the stand, I will still be at the same level to get back on. Plus, mine has a loop extending to foot level, so I can put the weight on a foot instead of the harness holding me.

I always attach the harness tether so it only allows me to seat in the seat if the stand has one.
Then if one falls the drop is a little ways at the most.

I have done a lot of repelling, rock, tree climbing. With proper equipment use one doesn't have to take a long fall it you slip.

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd rather be hanging and give myself time to figure out how to get down then fall very quickly. Tree stands cause more hunting injuries then guns do, I wish the yound man peace along with the family.

When there's lead in the air, there's hope!!!!

Posts: 424 | Location: Ticonderoga NY | Registered: 19 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I fell out of my ladder stand. When I realized I was falling, I pushed myself forward to fall into a cedar tree in front of the ladder.....so the branches broke my fall. My rifle's muzzle dug itself into the dirt, and required cleaning. No other problem.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I stopped using climbers or lash (chain) on tree stands after a couple of "oh sh*t" moments while putting the things up or taking them down. How you would do this with a safety belt securely fastened escapes me.

Had a friend get 30+ stitches in his leg from those screw in steps. (Pack boot slipped off on way up, ripped right through heavy clothes and tore the inside of his leg, nasty but not fatal. Now if you were unlucky enough to get one planted in your thigh...)

Ladder stands seem a hell of a lot safer to me, which is why I switched to one. Yes, more weight to carry into the field, I transport mine on a game cart. I find them easier to put up and infinitely safer during the critical "lashing it to the tree" phase.

Obviously, nothing is accident or idiot proof, but it's worth a look if climbers (just makes me cringe writing the word) or chain on types are giving you the "I could die doing this..."

And yes, I lash on the safety belt as soon as possible.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Falling from a "loc-on" style treestand my L-2 was crushed and my pelvis broken. I was reaching to attach a safety belt when the stand broke. 18 feet later (and 6 months without walking unassisted) I could finally get around with a walker.

...and I consider myself lucky.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7592 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HunterMontana/JudgeG,
I agree with the loc on type of stands. Never found a way of getting in and out that satisfied me. Climber on the other hand I feel good in. Like any tree stand the dangerous time is the transition from climbing to sitting and vice versa. I strap on basically as soon as I step on the platform and move the rope with me. Also others have commented on keeping the rope tight enough that if you do fall, there is not alot of speed built up prior to the yank of the rope. Important to be close to tree stand so you can grab hold and get back up rather than dangles in between! Great thread.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are really serious about tree stand safety....

Figure out a rescue plan before you are hanging. Its only minutes until 'suspension trauma' sets in. Essentially the blood flow is cut to your legs allowing the toxins your kidneys, liver, and lungs remove to accumulate. If you allow yourself to fall too far you also have a thrombosis possibility.

My harness has "lineman's loops", My pocket has two lengths of rope, one to drop. My plan is to get a line around the tree tied to the linemans loops. And cut the top line/strap.

There is no reason to climb a ladder without being tied off 100% of the time. More falls occur while going from ladder to stand.

Learn to tie a Prusick Knot. It goes onto a safety line from above your tree stand to the ground. You slide the knot up with you as you climb, its quiet and could save your life.

If its worth doing....do it right!

Posts: 289 | Location: Western UP of Michigan  | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All this harness talk got me into doing some harness comparing.

My rock climbing harness transfers most of my weight to the waist belt and very little to the legs and groin area I have hung around in that some time with out any trouble.

All the full body harness's that I have gotten with my tree stands transfers the hanging weight to the groin and leg straps causing discomfort really soon.

The attachment points on my rock harness are at the waist where the stand harness's I have are at shoulder level

But then again my rock climbing harness cost as much or more then a lot of single person ladder stands that come with a harness.

I guess I'll have to investigate some of the higher end stand harness's and see how they handle the weight.

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years ago the construction industry used waist belts. Tremendous amounts of injuries to backs by being jerked to a stop at your beltline.

I am not a rock climber. I believe you will never get a free fall while climbing. No shock to your middle. Not the same case as tree stands.

Industry is now using harnesses that allow a conscious user to sit back into them, relieving the pressure on the groin. Another option is a suspension trauma strap. A rope or strap loop that you can stand on, again relieving pressure on your groin.

Posts: 289 | Location: Western UP of Michigan  | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With Quote