New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Which scope
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
DJ, there's at least one other guy that does it that way, I usually have time to crank them up when hunting from a stand, but they always start at the lowest setting. Likewise I always have them set at the lowest power when still hunting, and rarely crank them up when stalking around. My two old faithfuls are both .270 Win and they both have 4-12x50 Swaro's on them.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm looking for a 4-16X40 scope with ballistic plex crosshairs for my .270. Which are my choices and which do you recommend. Thanks in advance for any info you give me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunterfisher,

if money is not an issue at all,....Swarovski

if money not a huge issue....Leupold vari X III or it's recent replacement. I forget the model name.

if money is somewhat of an issue.... Nikon Monarch UCC (what I shoot on 4 of my rifles) or Burris' uppper line.

If money is a pretty big issue......Leupold Vari X II

If money is a huge issue........Nikon Buckmaster, Simmons or some others

If there is no money.....open sights.

If you owe alot of money.....Tasco

Hope this helps. I shoot all Nikon Monarchs on my rifles, however, if I was to buy another scope it would most likely be a Leupold Vari X III or the model that recently replaced that line for them. I love my Nikons, but I had a warranty issue that they did not honor properly. I have heard numerous stories about Leupold's warranty policies and they sound like the best in the business for customer service.

For $500 dollars you can buy a great Leupold and that should do all that you could ever want. I bought my Nikon Monarch's because they fit nicely for price and quality between the vari x III and the Vari X II by Leupold. Notice the standard by which I am measuring everything. I am happy with the Nikon's quality and if you have only got 350 dollars to spend on a scope then you may want to look at the Nikon's closely. But be aware, their quality is great, but the limited lifetime warranty is indeed limited.

happy shopping

Autumn Pulse

Posts: 33 | Location: WA State | Registered: 30 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted Hide Post
I'll chime in for Leupold. I have always used Simmons (see above post: money huge issue) decent scope, low price. I had no idea what I was missing till I got my daughter a rifle this fall. The gunshop made me a very good deal on a used Leupold.
Wow. I'll skimp on the rifle, and eat peanut butter for a month, but from now on, every new scope will be a Leupold.

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have become a very big fan of burris, both their scopes and rings.

Posts: 130 | Location: East central Kansas | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like leupolds, if money where no issue it would be aeuro scope I suppose but leupold are for me good value for money and perform well.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Swarovski is the best of the bunch if you can afford it. If cost is an big issue the Weaver Grand Slams are a very good value.....DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I echo what everyone else said but would add that the Zeiss conquest is very close (optics wise) to my Swarovski's. I think it is superior to the new Vari X 3's for about the same or just a little more money. I have mostly Swaro's, but several Leupolds and several Conquests and I definitely prefer them to my Leupolds.
If you have a large firearms dealer near you, they oftern have a scope comparison stock that you can mount 2 scopes in at once and compare. Try to get them to let you go outside to compare if possible. When I bought my first Swaro I went at dusk to make my choice.
Good Luck--Don.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
After going through most of what's on the market, my son and I have pretty much settled on Burris. They are priced right, good optics and very tough.

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the information. Money wise the Leupold VX III is the scope I'll look into. But, is this scope available with ballistic crosshairs? My shooting is all long range and coupled with a Yardage Pro it would take the guessing out of holding over.

one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I would offer that 16X on a .270 is a mismatch. You can maximize the quality of scope for less expense by going down to a vairable 8, 9, or 10.

I have a Vari-X 3 1/2-10 on my .270 and do not recall using over 6X on any deer or antelope. I usually keep it dialed in at 5x to 6X and if I need the higher power I will have the time to adjust. This is for open country hunting (mountains and plains), if in cover, I would dial down to the 3 1/2X and probably wish for 2X.

Posts: 121 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul, I think your point about scope power is right on the money. 16x and up scopes are VERY specialized in my opinion. I'm not saying a 270 isn't a cartridge that can utilize such optical power...but not in the real world of hunting. Precious few situations call for such optics on any rifle in normal hunting situations.

That's the easiest way to cut some scope cost here.

As for scopes that cost $500........I always think to myself, "Hell, I could buy another rifle for that money!"

If given the choice between a fancy, big name scope or another another rifle, I'll take another rifle and a cheap scope.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunter:
I'm one of the guys who thinks a scope of that type is too much for a .270 Win. as well but to each his own. FYI, I have a Leupold Vari X III 4.5-14 tactical with the Mil-dot reticle on my .257 Imp. So far, I haven't used it over about 300 yds. (that's another story) but I like it very much. It also has the target knobs thus making adjustments very easy. I wonder if this isn't something that would work in your case.
Regardless of the scope choice, I'd look at www.bearbasin.com for the one I want. They have the lowest prices for optics that I've seen. Hope this helps some. Bear in Fairbanks

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe that the new series of Leupold scopes has what is called and B&C (Boone and Crocket) reticle that is matched to the approximate trajectory of factory ammo in a number of calibers. Check out their web page for the scopes that do and what their reticle is suited for. Maybe it will meet your needs. I can say that the old Vari-X III 3.5x10 is a very good scope, from an optical and reliability stand point. I expect the new series is just as good with new features.

Posts: 121 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HF, you got a lot of info from other forum members already. All I can say is don't skimp out on whatever scope you choose; buy the best that you can afford. Personal economics dictate what we can and cannot do, and that I can appreciate. But when the time comes that you are ready to squeeze the trigger better be sure you can see through your scope and trust that where the bullet goes is darn close to where you aimed.

Good Luck!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Count me in on the smaller scope crew as well. I have a VXII 3x9 on my old 270, and the only time I need extra power is when trying to shoot varmint gun size groups on paper. The old eyes don't see the crosshair placement as well as with my Elite 4200 6.5x24 . I'm surprised the Bushnell Elites haven't been mentioned! Very, very good scopes at a good price. Again for most big game hunting situations, if that's what you are after, I doubt you would need over about 6x.

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i agree with fish, zeiss conquest best scope for the $. i have swarovski, leupold and i like the zeiss the best. good warranty/ service as well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For years people thought that a 4x scope was the best all around choice. Why not have a 4-12 and leave it on 4x until you need it? I would prefer that a hunting scope doesn't have an adjustable objective (which you need on anything over 12) so 4-16 may be a bit much on the upper range. But IMHO a 4-12x50 TDS AV Swaro is about the perfect 270 Scope. It's light enough to be handy, without an A/O it can be mounted close to the bore and at 4x is has enough field of view for close shooting. And if someday a long shot on a deer is necessary the 12x may just help.
I may be the only person in the world that does it but with my variable scopes I almost always use them either on the minimum magnification or the maximum magnification. I leave them on the lowest unless I have a long shot and have time to crank them up. The only time I've used a mid magnification is in very low light where the exit pupil was too small to see anything but black at the highest magnification.......DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Would suggest purchasing your Leupold from Premier Reticles. They will supply the scope and place stadia wires for you with the ballistic info you supply them. No guesswork of holding over at that point. They place wires out to 700 yards plus. I have 400 and 500 yard wires in mine. I won't shoot over five hundred unless the animal has been wounded at a closer range and I'm really trying to anchor him at that point. Heaven help me beyond that.

www.premierreticles.com

Pepper

Posts: 51 | Location: Utah | Registered: 29 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Ziess Conquest. I believe it to be the all around best buy in its price range. Very clear and exceptional in low light.

My only complaint is the turret caps are to high.

Posts: 231 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote