THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Texas Hunter Education / Safety Course

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Hunter Education / Safety Course
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need to obtain a Hunter Education / Safety Card. I want to obtain this from Texas by doing an online course. Texas Parks and Wildlife offers courses through several vendors. Can anyone recommend which vendor to go with, or conversely, which should be avoided ?
Cheers

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2090 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
How old are you?

Not being nosy, but are you certain that you need the certification?

This may or may not apply to you.

Do I qualify for a Hunter Education Deferral?

Any person 17 years of age or older who has not completed hunter education may defer completion for up to one year. A deferral may only be obtained once and is only valid until the end of the current license year. You must be accompanied while hunting if you have a deferral. Note: The one-time Hunter Education Deferral is available at license vendors and costs $10. A person who has been convicted or has received deferred adjudication for violation of the mandatory hunter education requirement is prohibited from applying for a deferral.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
UNLESS you are a resident of the state of TX you cannot legally obtain the Texas Hunter Education certification. To my knowledge, there is NO US STATE that allows non-residents to get a certificate by taking an online-only course. All of them require either a online course combined with a "field day" course or simply a full in-person course. Good luck.

Texas Hunter Education online info

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who needs to take Hunter Education?

Every hunter (including out-of-state hunters) born on or after Sept. 2, 1971, must successfully complete hunter education.

Minimum age for certification is 9 years and cost is $15.

If you were born on or after September 2, 1971 and you are:

under 9 years of age, you must be accompanied*.

age 9 through 16, you must successfully complete hunter education, OR you must be accompanied.

age 17 and over, you must successfully complete hunter education; OR purchase a “Hunter Education Deferral,” and you must be accompanied.

This is from the TP&W website. Texas recognises Hunter Education certificates from other states.

Reality is, if a person is from out of state and is only going to be here for a short period of time getting the Deferral is the best option.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you should be exempt Grant, you're an old guy......like me.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If he was born before Sept. 2, 1971 then he is exempt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fellas,
Thanks for the comments and info on my question.
Sorry I didn't explain before now but I need Hunter Ed. / Safety for a Colorado hunt planned for 2020. In Colorado if born after 1949 Hunter Ed. / Safety is compulsory. Doing the Colorado course requires personally attending a Conclusion Class so is not really an option for me.
Fortunately however by reciprocal arrangement there is inter state recognition of out-of-state Safety Cards so I think a Texas card is legal in Colorado. For a 2015 Idaho hunt my son had to obtain Hunter Safety and obtained it via an online only course in Texas. The fact he is not a US citizen was no impediment. One does not have to be a Texas resident to sit the Texas course and I hope Texas still issues the card to non US citizens. This point I need to investigate further for certainty.

Yes Jim, I would be happy to be exempt by virtue of my advancing years. You're the type of guy I can rely on to remind me of that. What a mate you are.... Roll Eyes

Randall, ( sorry we have not met personally ) I am 61 yrs. Your question is not nosey.

Cheers

Posts: 2090 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Grant:

You're just a KID compared to some of us.
I beat the '49 a few years.

I do feel EVERYONE hunting anywhere NEEDS to
go thru at least one of these classes.

Too many of us get to thinking after 40-50 years hunting we know enough. Then we pull some stupid stunt!

Good luck,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Couple of options:

Take the online course for Oklahoma. Open to all and no field day.

If Texas is open on non-res, they waive the field day for anyone over the age of 17. So, online only.

Do you have anything that NZ issues? CO honors hunters ed from other countries. It doesn't have to be a US state card.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As your hunt is not until 2020, I would contact the Colorado Division of Wildlife and explain your situation. They can tell you what you need to do. Colorado offers some 1-day courses right before the season that you can take when you get there. They are good for 1 year. I think they fill up quickly so you might need to reserve a space. Are you going to be traveling in the US before the hunt? I am a hunter education instructor in Utah and might get you in the "field day" portion of the online course. I am about 160 miles west of Grand Junction, Colorado.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dale,
Thankyou for your suggestion and offered assistance.
I am awaiting a reply from Colorado Parks & Wildlife to my email of a couple of days ago.
I hope to be doing some travelling pre and possibly post hunt in 2020 but as that's still a little way off have not firmed up my plans just yet.

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by farbedo:
Couple of options:

Take the online course for Oklahoma. Open to all and no field day.

If Texas is open on non-res, they waive the field day for anyone over the age of 17. So, online only.

Do you have anything that NZ issues? CO honors hunters ed from other countries. It doesn't have to be a US state card.

Jeremy

Good advice here...

1. Use a NZ hunters certification if you have one.
2. Take the online one from Oklahoma if 1 doesn’t apply.

By in large, each of the 50 states will recognize hunter’s ed from any of the other states. I have have my hunter’s ed certificate from California, but have used it in Texas, Wyoming, and Montana. I apply to hunts in other states, including Colorado, and all they ask is can you provide proof of hunter’s ed.

I believe Colorado actually asks for the certificate number when you apply, So just ensure there is a number of some sort that could constitute a “certificate number.”

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote