New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moose hunt pictures
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Finally figured out how to post pictures. lots of trial and error. I have posted the story again for anyone who missed it but here are the pictures.

Just got back from taking my 9 year old son Richard on a moose and elk hunt in northern BC. I used to live in this area and know it quite well, it was fun to show my son the old hunting haunts. We saw more game than I am used to. We saw eleven elk, 5 bulls three were 5 point but 6 points are required. Saw more deer than we could count, at least a couple of hundred, most of these were off the hi-way driving but never the less a lot of deer. Also off the hi-way we saw about 150 bison, they are an amazing large animal. Next year I will be eligible for the draw on them but with odds not very good for me I will probably have to wait a few years.

We also saw 14 moose, mix of bulls, cow and calves. The bulls have to be immature (spike or fork only on one side) or a mature bull with 3 brow tines or more on one side. After 9 days of early mornings and late night and not seeing any legal bulls. One more try on a great spot where we had called a couple of bulls but got busted before we could see if they were legal. Richard had decided to sleep in and did not come this last morning. We were both a little frustrated after 9 days. Spent three hours spot and stalking, calling lots with no answers, it was time to call it a hunt and go home. Had a great 10 days but will have to go home with only the memories and great time had by father and son. On the way back to town we see two large bull moose standing on the hi-way. One has THREE brow tines, the other has two on each side, but they have to be a quarter mile from the road to shoot. I figure if this is my only chance why not. I bail out of the truck and head into the bush and chase them. They head off and the hunt is on. I see a large area of blow down ahead of me that I have to go thru. I give a loud bull call and charge through the blow down. The moose I can see fleetingly through the bush about 75 yards ahead and to my left. I head down a game trail to the right and try to keep parallel with them. I keep calling and running with them for almost 10 minutes and only seeing them once in awhile. I climb a little hill and when I top out there is one of them about 60 yards away in a clearing the other one I have no idea. I am still in the bush and stop and look for the required brow tines. I can only see two on the close side. Bump the scope up to 9 power and look again. Two on the close side for sure but he won�t turn his head, just keeps facing me about 3/4 straight on. Finally he swings his head and there are three tines on the far side. I drop the cross hairs and gently squeeze the trigger ( wishing my son was here to do this part of the job). The 300 gr bullet enters a little high on the close shoulder, breaking the shoulder and penetrates all the way through and takes out the top of the near lung and enters the diaphragm and disappears. The moose lunges forward several times towards me and past me down the trail stopping about 50 yards breathing very heavy but still standing. I aim for the back of the neck over the hump and he drops like a rock. He has dropped right on the trail in the middle of a power line. We are able to drive the truck right to him and load him up after dressing him out. 90 minutes from shooting until hanging at the butcher shop. Dressed out at 625 lbs and the rack is 42 inches wide.

I am disappointed that Richard was not there with me. He did learn a lot this trip and we were able to spend a lot of quality time together. He will be able to try for a caribou this winter and I feel really confident we will be able to get a few of them in the new year.

Nice deer on the way back from hunting one day. Not open until Nov.1
 -

A happy camper, it had just started to snow after I shot it.
 -

A better angle of the rack with my hunting partner.
 -

This is the hole a 300gr .375 H&H makes going in
 -

The Peace River valley just below the dam looking west. There are about 30 deer in the field next to the island on the right shore.
 -

A black bear we saw on the way home. Open season with tag but no time.
 -

This is the halfway point on the way home.
 -

Posts: 160 | Location: Whitehorse Yukon Canada | Registered: 20 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
nice pics. Congradulations.

Posts: 711 | Location: Michigan , USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smokey,

Re: The Black Bear . . . "open season with tag but NO TIME"!!!
Wow!!! For me there is always time to shoot something!
Great moose and congratulations!

Best Regards,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Smokey,
Congratulations!
Great photos and NICE Moose!
Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JohnTheGreek

I still had 14 hours of driving ahead of me and did not want to smell like and be covered with bear for the trip. But I do know what you mean. Smokey

Posts: 160 | Location: Whitehorse Yukon Canada | Registered: 20 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great photos and nice story.

Consider yourself blessed to be able to live and hunt God's country.

Posts: 199 | Location: North Central Indiana | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote