THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Judge blocks deal on protections for wolves

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Judge blocks deal on protections for wolves
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Idaho (AP) — A federal judge has blocked a proposal to lift the endangered species protections for wolves in Montana and Idaho that had been hammered out by U.S. wildlife officials and conservation groups.

The plan could have led to public hunting of some 1,300 wolves in the two states.

In the 24-page decision, U.S. District Judge Donald Molloy in Missoula, Mont., cited the court's lack of authority to put part of an endangered species population under state management and expose that population to hunting, noting "Congress has clearly determined that animals on the ESA (Endangered Species Act) must be protected as such," and the court couldn't "exercise its discretion to allow what Congress forbids."

He also said he couldn't approve the settlement proposed in March because not all the parties involved in the case agreed with it. Part of the argument for the settlement was that it could end litigation, but Molloy noted that was unlikely given the opposition by some to the proposed settlement.

The court decision came on the same day as Montana Democratic Sen. Jon Tester and Idaho Republican Rep. Mike Simpson announced wolves in Montana and Idaho would be taken off the endangered list under the budget bill pending before Congress.

One of the reasons the 10 conservation groups entered into the settlement with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service was because of growing political pressure and potential Congressional action to reduce wolf numbers in Montana and other states due a gradual increase of wolf attacks on livestock and some big-game herds suffering declines. The groups hoped a favorable court decision would provide greater protection for wolves than lawmakers might provide.

So the groups not only lost in court on Saturday, their fears concerning lawmakers removing federal protections for wolves also became more real.

"The congressional threat was very much on people's minds when we negotiated the settlement," said Andrew Wetzler of the Natural Resources Defense Council. "In light of the court ruling, it's going to make it more difficult to derail the rider that may well be attached to the budget deal that will provide much fewer protections for wolves than the settlement would have."

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ladies and Gentlemen:

The sooner that wolf management is turned over to the state game departments the better.

There comes a time when the futility of the federal government becomes so apparent that even a blind man can see it. This is that time.

Should make the elk, deer and cattle happier, too.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just got off some of the tree hugger web sites
(they have current info)
and boy are they crying in their beer.
the hair pulling,chest beating and gnashing of teeth along with the sky is falling mentallity
absolutly warms my heart!!!!
downside is, its the "simpson/tester bill that has been tied to the budget bill.
delisting in idaho and montana, excluding wyoming....
so nothings changed there or in our attitude
of hometown management.
MIGHT AS WELL DELIST, WE ALREADY HAVE
is our motto.
local wardens have said out loud to a few gossipy people that "they won't even roll a dead wolf over"..... for the message to get out.
GOD, i love wyoming!!!!!

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
quote:
MIGHT AS WELL DELIST, WE ALREADY HAVE
is our motto.
local wardens have said out loud to a few gossipy people that "they won't even roll a dead wolf over"..... for the message to get out.
GOD, i love wyoming!!!!!

Amen, Amen, Verily Verily!

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure that "RavenR" subscribes to the "3-S" game management approach when it come to wolves (as do I).....

Shoot, shovel, & silence beer

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well...... it would be in very poor form
to condone a felonious act.
it would be sheer stupidity to admit
to the same.

And, i rarely pack a shovel.... Roll Eyes

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And, i rarely pack a shovel....

jumping

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heck, when I grew up in Montana you were required by the Forest Service to carry an axe, bucket, and SHOVEL in your vehicle.

Posts: 286 | Registered: 25 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AzGuy:
I'm pretty sure that "RavenR" subscribes to the "3-S" game management approach when it come to wolves (as do I).....

Shoot, shovel, & silence beer
tu2

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote