Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Synthetic stock?
 Login/Join

posted
Am thinking of getting a synthetic stock for an early '80s Model 70 Featherweight in 7 x 57. MacMillan, Bell and Carlson? Opinions? Hoping for a light and handy white tail deer rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
synthetic - is that some kind of walnut i haven't heard of ?? biebs please explain

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Probably one of the nicer ones I've handled is the McMillan's Edge. Light, rigid and a nice fit for me.
There are others out there. Look on Ebay or gunbroker a stock comes up from time to time.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
While I personally prefer wood stocks myself, I can see advantages to having rifles with synthetic stocks.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
McMillan or HS Precision are my favorite. I have a B&C on one gun, it's fine, I think they make a higher end B&C Gold ... something like that.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a picture of my M70 FWT in a McMillan Hunters Edge compact and my M70 Extreme Weather in the factory B&C stock.

Compared to the McMillan the B&C stock feels like a club. It was too thick in the wrist and forearm for my tastes. I've been able to find all my McMillan stocks second hand and at great savings, all of mine have the Edge fill and weigh between 22-24 ounces. My M70 EW now wears a McMillan FWT Edge stock.

.270 Win 7 lbs 13 oz

Here are pictures of my M70's in Hunters stocks.

.30-06 7 lbs 1 oz

.338-06 8 lbs 9 oz

Manners and High Tech are some I'd look at as well besides the ones already mentioned.