Find
Notify
Tools

huge lion pictures
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
One of the BC outfitters I've been talking to for a couple of years now just sent me these pics today so I thought I'd share:

I sent him a reply email requesting next seasons dates so I could send him an immediate deposit.

He also has HUGE black bears.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
Holy crap. If those pics are genuine and un-photoshopped, those ARE huge. Very nice!

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Why are the angles of the shadows different in the second picture?

The shadow of the man is almost directly behind him and the lion's shadow is way off to the side.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12625 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:

The shadow of the man is almost directly behind him and the lion's shadow is way off to the side.

The shadow of the lion falls on the hunter. I think the shadow in the lower left corner is the shadow from the elbow/forearm of the person taking the photo.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted Hide Post
Those are a couple of HUGE cats!!

Posts: 362 | Location: St.Louis Mo | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I assure you, Abe, has no reason to embelish anything. I'm confident the photos are real.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are some very huge cats in B.C.The one that I killed in 2000 weighed an honest 185lbs.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Here Kitty Kitty Kitty

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10124 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No wonder I can't find any deer.

Posts: 307 | Location: Vancouver, BC. | Registered: 15 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SwiftShot
posted Hide Post
How much does that guy charge for a hunt.

Posts: 433 | Location: Washington state USA  | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those two cats look HUGE...I had no idea they got that big...do you have any idea what they weighed?

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
No idea what they weighed. Abe emailed me his price list today at work so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to get it.

however, he did write that the very soonest he could take me is 2008 or 09.

I think hunts were around 4-5K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to ask, why does hunter#2 have no shadow at ALL where the snow ends? Don't say lighting!?

Hmmmm.....

Surely these weren't the only photos taken of these huge trophies; a few more photos might assuage the very serious doubts.

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 813 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redlander:
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:

The shadow of the lion falls on the hunter. I think the shadow in the lower left corner is the shadow from the elbow/forearm of the person taking the photo.

The lion's body shadow is behind and slightly left. Where's the the shadow for the lions tail as it curves to the ground?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12625 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are ever at a sportsmans show,look for Okanagan Outfitters booth.He has many pictures like the two shown at his display.He takes cats like the two shown every year.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Hunter Formerly Known As Texas Hunter>
posted
I'm confident they are big cats but camera angle is important as well. I think the angle was optimized. I took a nice cat in Colorado a couple of years ago using an iron-sighted .454 casull. Not only did I have Hell climbing in the snow and ice in the oxygen-depleted mountains, it was damn difficult holding the cat high for the pics. Those guys are either way strong or the camera angle is exaggerating somewhat the size of the cat. Probably some of both. Is that Abe Dougan we're talking about? I hunted bear with him last Spring.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Yep. That is Abe Dougan.

how was the bear hunt? I've been trying to arrange one with him for 2 years now.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
MEE--YOWWWWWW!!!!!!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13551 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It looks to me that the shadow from the cats tail is on the guys leg. The reason the shadow stops at the edge of the snow is because he is standing on the lower side of the road and the bank you see with no snow is the other side of the road. The other shadow to the lower left is from something else outside the picture.

Posts: 307 | Location: Vancouver, BC. | Registered: 15 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Yes anybody worth their salt when taking trophy pictures, animals or fish, will do what they can to accentuate the right angle to maximize the look of size to the photo. In these shots no matter what "tricks" you think they used these are still really big cats outside the "norm" in my opinion. The top cat is not fully off the ground or even as close to being off the ground as the bottom cat. Look at the size of the paws and forearms on these cats..........Big Cats!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Surely big cats. However the photos are not exactly honest dipictions - not dishonest mind you, but notice that in #2 the guy's head is way small by comparison. However his hips are as wide as the cat! My guess is he's leaning back to counter balance the animal's weight. Likewise, his hands are nearly as wide as his face! Wide angle. Nothing wrong here, just seeing what really is and that really IS a big cat just the same. #1 is just plain enormous!!!

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Abe Dougan, Steve Rann and the Lancaster boys all get some really great cats out of their Fraser Canyon territories. Some of you guys are unbelievable skeptics! Those pictures are definitely legit.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote